Friday 12 February 2021: Online Workshop (Mr Fox Appliqué)
Time & Location
About the Event
Gary Mills - Friday 12 February 2021 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Mr Fox Appliqué
The effervescent & hugely talented Gary Mills joins us once again to teach this excellent skills-based class which will see you create a wonderful Mr Fox Appliqué art-piece, suitable for you, or to present as a memorable gift for your family, friends or a loved one!
Introduction by Gary: -
In 2020, my first workshop with the CraftyMonkies was an extremely popular and successful session for ‘Waggle Tails’ the Hound appliqué. Now in 2021, I'm delighted to introduce the adorable ‘Mr Fox’ Appliqué design in my three-hour workshop.
This workshop is very much a ‘skills bomb’ of processes for you to learn. I've tailored this project for all to enjoy learning a mixture of creative textile skills. You will begin the session firstly by transferring the supplied image onto cloth; next you'll learn how to use heat-bonded adhesive for securing the appliqué pieces. I will then guide you through using free motion embroidery to add an artistic sketched stitched line to bring your appliqué to life! The workshop is a great start to get to grips with these addictive skilled processes; you will even learn some hand-tinting with colour to finish off your outcome! This class is full of little cheats and 'how-to' tips to get the best results from both yourself and your sewing-machine.
When complete, ‘Mr Fox’ could be simply framed but would make a great panel for a quilt or even a cushion centre - I will discuss with you any ideas that come up through this workshop!...
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop: -
This three-hour session is divided into two halves with a short comfort break for 10 minutes in the middle. To begin you will be introduced to the project, and then Gary will guide you through each of the skills processes:
You will learn how to transfer the image, how to cut and then bond onto fabric small pattern pieces to build the image. Prepare the fabric for free-motion embroidery and apply stitches to further secure but also add a defining line to the image which is then tinted with hand paints to add a unique hand-crafted finish to your work.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop: -
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for all; if you are a beginner this is a great project to learn and understand the processes of bonded applique with addition of free motion stitching for decoration. For those more experienced and advanced you can further hone your skills by working on improved accuracy and artistic ability to achieve a first-class professional finish.
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop: -
- Base fabric: Cream / White cotton canvas or heavy calico, or heavy linen minimum size 21cm x 30cm, although you can work on a larger piece if you prefer. Please ensure your fabrics are PRESSED prior to class!
- Stitch and tear 21cm x 30cm
- Bonda web or similar iron on fusible fabric adhesive for bonding applique pieces 25cm x 50cm
- Selection of small pieces / scraps of suitably chosen fabrics. Check your colour and pattern choices with reference to the exampled Mr Fox images (light wools and tweeds, printed and plain cottons and polyesters)
- Good quality Sew-all polyester dark (black / dark grey / dark brown machine thread
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop: -
- 1x sheet A4 tracing paper,
- Soft pencil (B1-2) and biro to transfer image.
- Sticky tape or masking tape
- Sewing machine with an embroidery or darning foot attachment with a new needle size 12-14
- An iron and sheet of baking parchment for pressing,
- Small sharp embroidery, fabric scissors and small paper scissors
- A palate of water colour paints (a standard children’s set will do) and a small brush for tinting your final image; plus a small pot of water.
- A soluble fabric marker pen is useful.
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop: -
Those attending the workshop will receive Gary’s unique PDF pattern for ‘Mr Fox’ and the guidance instructions FREE of charge!
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £25.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of the ongoing potential for lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19 outbreaks & subsequent Government-imposed restrictions to people movement and business operation, we advise everyone to please book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 90 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 90 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after it is broadcast on Zoom).
- Online Workshop: Mr Fox£25£250£0