Sat, 02 Jul|
Online Interactive Workshop
Saturday 02 July 2022: Online Workshop (Riot of Colour)
Gary Mills hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop entitled Riot Of Colour, using stitch & tear and applying paint atop!…
Time & Location
02 Jul 2022, 15:00 – 18:00 BST
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Saturday 03 July 2022 - 3.00pm to 6.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Riot Of Colour
We're delighted to be hosting this Riot Of Colour workshop with the wonderful, warm, engaging & hugely talented Gary Mills! This class will see participants engage in creating a wonderful artwork via a colourful painted background on ‘stitch and tear’; you will then cut-out further shapes in coloured ‘stitch and tear’ and, by using heat bonded collage, to appliqué stylized floral shapes on to this background. Once your shapes are bonded down you will work further into your Mixed Media textile with machine-stitch, using simple yet effective Free Motion Embroidery!...
Introduction by Gary
Have you always wanted to feel more confident in being creative, have you always wanted to be more artistic but never had the opportunity, or perhaps the 'know-how' as to how & where to get started? If you love flowers, bold bright colour, collaging, and using free motion embroidery to embellish your designs, this is the workshop for you, designed by me (Gary Mills), who can teach and develop creative ability in anyone!
This is yet another, exciting and engaging workshop which has been specifically designed to be accessed by everyone and all abilities; for all of you who would like to learn and have a go, and those who enjoy being creative but would like to become a little freer and more open to some new ideas. The workshop is based around creating a 2D constructed Mixed Media textile image of stylized florals in an array of bright bold colours. From imagery supplied, and easily accessible materials, you will be undertaking a series of processes to help you achieve a piece of Mixed Media artwork you will be proud of. The outcome would look great framed or even placed on greeting cards to send to friends who will be impressed with your creativity!
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop: -
In this three-hour workshop you will cover creating a colourful painted background on ‘stitch and tear’ by adding a patch work of water-based colour with either acrylic paints, water colour paints, coloured inks or even food colourings will work. You will be cutting out further shapes in coloured ‘stitch and tear’, and by using heat bonded collage to applique stylized floral shapes on to this background. During the session Gary will discuss how you can use primary and secondary colours to complement each other, and how you can best use this knowledge to greatest effect when assembling your image. Once your shapes are bonded down you will then further work into your mixed media textile with machine stitch using simple yet effective free motion embroidery.
The outcome for this project is an 11” x 11” (inch) finished piece of artwork!
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of art and textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for all; if you are a beginner this is a great way to find your creative ability through learning process and skills which explore the rudiments of creative art and textile practices. For those with some confidence and experience you could add further diversify to approaches in your own artistic ability and imagination.
Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop: -
All the materials are easily accessible. Such as fabrics, inks and paints which can be sourced from local shops or online and most other materials can be found around your sewing box and fabric stash.
You will need for this workshop:-
- First choose your primary colours of Red, Yellow, and Blue and you will be mixing these to make further pinks, oranges and greens and purples.
- Types of paints and inks you could use are:
- Acrylic, a paint box of simple Water Colour Paints (a child’s set will do)
- You can also use coloured inks
- Or you can also use food colourings to achieve the colours in the design.
- 1x 12” x 12” light weight plain cream or white cotton fabric (this is a backing to the design so you can use found or recycled fabric but make sure it is well pressed)
- 2 x sheets 12” x 12” Bonda web or similar heat transfer adhesive
- 2 x 12” x 12” Stitch and Tear (you can find this paper like fabric baking in most sewing and haberdashery shops and is used for free motion embroidery….(it’s also great for painting on!)
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop: -
- A container such as a jam jar to hold some clean water.
- Something to dampen your Stitch and Tear before painting such as a clean sponge in water or even a water mister spray / bottle
- A large plate or a palette for mixing paint
- 3-4 small sponge paint applicators or use a good size paint brush
- Plenty of paper kitchen towel to hand
- Paper and embroidery scissors for cutting out and trimming
- Some pins
- A ruler or grading ruler and rotatory cutter for squaring up (optional a Cutting mat)
- An iron, ironing mat or board and baking parchment to protect your work when you press
- Useful optional: A fabric pen / marker (I use one which disappears with heat, but any similar will do)
- IMPORTANT: A hair-dryer to hand for speed drying is required
- Basic sewing machine with a free motion embroidery / darning foot and some dark good quality sew all thread. (The example has used black Gütermann thread)
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive
Those attending the workshop will receive Gary’s Floral Template
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on British Summer Time (BST). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location! Here's a great world time-zone reference:-
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
Please ensure you book your place & order any materials/fabrics/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone?
Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Online Workshop: Riot Colour
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Saturday 02 July 2022 (3.00pm-6.00pm, BST)