Wed, 21 Feb|
Online Interactive Workshop
Wednesday 21 February 2024: Online Workshop (Funky Portraits)
Following on from Gary's successful art classes, he's back with another three sessions! In his 2hr classes he hopes to teach you some art skills, but also to give you some mindful time for yourself. Time to unwind, get creative and have a lovely two hour creative session through the winter months.
Time & Location
21 Feb 2024, 18:30 – 20:30 GMT
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Wednesday 21 February 2024 - 6.30pm to 8.30pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop - A Funky Portrait!
A Mindful Art Project, is a two hour creative activity which has been designed from the CraftyMonkies Tea-Time Tutorials on our YouTube Channel. The benefits of emerging yourself for a short period of time with a simple and accessible art project, can calm the mind and lift the spirits in these hectic and sometimes stressful times we live in.
In this session you will be creating a painted and collaged, stylised Funky Portrait. Gary has taken an image of a well-known South American female artist and redesigned her to perhaps how she may portray herself now in the 21stCentury. Using painting and layering with patterns created with water colour paints to initially make the portraits features and garments. The design is then cut out and assembled to create this very amusing and contemporary outcome. This method could be used to stylise any portrait you choose once you have explored the template and techniques covered in this artful session.
This Mindful Art Project gives you 'permission' to take some time out!...
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Have you always wanted to learn more about being creative? Do you find life just races by, and you would like to take a moment to yourself and immerse yourself in something creative. Well, this is just one of the lessons specifically designed for you by Gary Mills, where he has created a series of individual art activities that specifically are designed to be accessed by everyone and at all levels and abilities; This is for all of you who would like to learn and have a go, and those who enjoy being creative but would like to become a little freer and more open to some new ideas. If you love, colour, doodling and playing with scraps of paper, then you are really going to enjoy your time on any of Gary’s Mindful Art Projects.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary has many years of experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of art and textiles; his lessons are so enjoyable, relaxed, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This lesson is suitable for all; if you are a beginner this is a great way to find your creative ability through learning some art process and skills which explore the rudiments of creative art practices. For those with some confidence and experience you could add further diversify to approaches in your own artistic ability and imagination.
Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
All the materials and equipment are easily accessible. Such as papers, paints, pencils and pens can be sourced from local shops or online and most other materials can be found around your home.
You will need for this workshop:
· 2 x A3 & 1 x A4 Good Quality Paper (weight 220g/m2 -250g/m2) Gary uses Winsor and Newton brand either mixed media paper or cartridge paper. (there are other verities on the market you can use) But use whatever you can find at home the heavier the paper the better the outcome. But if all you have is copier paper than use that, the project is about the practice rather than the quality of the paper you use.
· Box / tin of water colour paints ( Gary uses Koh-I-Noor ink tense / brilliant dye based colours as Gary prefers the strength of the colours they give, but you can get good results from a basic tine of water colour paints)
· A set of coloured pencils (can be the water soluble variety but not necessary)
· 1 x black ink pen such as a permanent ink pen, (a pen which will not smudge or run when wet) Gary uses a uni pen fine line 0.8, but there are plenty of others available.
· Optional a white Posca pen for white dots (Gary likes this pen and is great fun adding white highlights to your work, he purchased his on amazon) alternatively you could use liquid paper such as “Tipex” or even white acrylic paint and a small brush)
· A Glue stick such as a Pritt Stick or similar
· Pencil & Rubber
· A sheet of baking parchment (great for keeping your work clean when sticking down)
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
· Sharp paper scissors & craft knife & cutting mat (or cut onto an old magazine)
· A ruler or quilting square for measuring and cutting against
· Pencil sharpener
· A mini water spritzer/ sprayer (the type you can get with empty mini travel bottles / a small plant sprayer) Gary uses these to pre wet my paints and also used for spritzing my work to add more interest and smudging (which is allowed in his art session!)
· 2 x containers such as a jam jars to hold some clean water.
· 1 x medium round soft paint brush 1x medium sized flat paint brush (2cm wide)
· Either sponge brushes or pieces of sponge for painting & wetting paper
· Some paper kitchen towel to hand
· Something for rubbing such as a blunt butter knife or a spoon (Gary uses a bone paper folder but not necessary)
· IMPORTANT : A hair dryer to hand when speed drying is required
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! The ticket price of £25.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class, but if you buy ALL THREE sessions the ticket price is £60.00 for the lot! Terrific value at £10.00 per hour!
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location! Here's a great world time zone reference:-
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
Please ensure you book your place & order any materials/fabrics/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Online Workshop: Portraits
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Wednesday 21st Feb 2023 (6.30pm-8.30pm, GMT)£25.00