Friday 07 May 2021: Online Workshop (Icons In Stitch!)
Time & Location
About the Event
Gary Mills - Friday 07 May 2021 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Icons In Stitch!
We're delighted to welcome back the wonderful & hugely talented Gary Mills once again! Not wanting to mention any names (see if you can spot the cultural icon in the pics accompanying this class!), this evening workshop session will see participants engage in needlework & appliqué to create a historic figure and a veritable Icon In Stitch!...
Introduction by Gary:-
Meet my film icon in stitch! This appliqué, designed by me, introduces this recognised iconic female actress and performer of the 'silver screen', captured in this on-trend appliqué and stitched 2D textile in a three-hour workshop.
This workshop is very much a ‘skills bomb’ of processes for you to learn. I have tailored this project for all to enjoy learning a mixture of creative textile skills. You will begin the session firstly by transferring the supplied image onto cloth, next how to use heat bonded adhesive for securing the appliqué pieces; I will then guide you through using both straight and free motion embroidery to add an artistic sketched stitched line to bring your applique to life. The workshop is a great start to get to grips with these addictive skilled processes; you will even learn some hand-tinting with colour to finish off your outcome! This class is full of little cheats and 'how-to' tips to get the best results from both yourself and your sewing-machine.
Your finished outcome could be simply framed but would make a great panel for a quilt or even a cushion or bag front - I will discuss with you any ideas that come up through this workshop!...
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This three-hour session is divided into two halves with a short comfort break for 10 minutes in the middle. To begin you will be introduced to the project, and then I will guide you through each of the skills processes:-
You will learn how to transfer the image, firstly work upon the face, which is hand tinted with water colour paints, then how to cut and then bond onto fabric with additional small pattern pieces to build the image. Prepare the fabric for straight and free-motion embroidery and apply stitches to further secure but also add a unique hand-crafted finish to your work.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for all; if you are a beginner this is a great project to learn and understand the processes of bonded applique with addition of free motion stitching for decoration. For those more experienced and advanced you can further hone your skills by working on improved accuracy and artistic ability to achieve a first-class professional finish.
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
The following items are required for this online interactive workshop:-
- 16” x 16” (40cm x 40cm) stitch and tear
- 16” x 16” (40cm x 40cm) Bonda web or similar iron on fusible fabric adhesive for bonding applique pieces
- 16” x 16” (40cm x 40cm) Background fabric either plain canvas or canvas weight printed upholstery Fabric (see image don’t use anything too busy but subtle and in keeping with the 1940’s vibe)
- 9” x 12” (23cm x 30cm) pre-washed medium weight Calico for face
- A selection of scraps of fabric for applique in bright and block colours (refer to image: turban, top, beads, and earrings)
- A selection of printed floral fabrics to cut out and decoupage for her hair garland. Although you can cut out your own floral and fruit shapes if you wish.
- Optional: A selection of bright and bold buttons for addition to necklace and earrings (refer to images)
- A selection of good quality sew-all machine thread and hand embroidery threads in relation to image and coloured fabrics chosen.
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- 1 x sheet A4 tracing paper,
- Soft pencil B1-2 and biro to transfer image.
- Sticky tape or masking tape
- Sewing machine with an embroidery or darning foot attachment with a new needle size 12-14
- An iron, sheet of baking parchment for pressing,
- Small sharp embroidery, fabric scissors and small paper scissors
- A palate of water colour paints (a children’s set will do) and a small brush for tinting your face image, small pot of water.
- Optional: a plate for any colour mixing.
- A soluble fabric marker pen is useful.
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop: -
Those attending the workshop will receive Gary’s unique PDF pattern for ‘Icons in Stitch Appliqué’ and the guidance instructions free of charge!
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Print off pattern (A4 to fit, no borders)
- Print off Instruction Sheets (to follow, after booking).
- Please have filled bobbins and threads ready for the start of the session!
Note: Please check that your sewing-machine is working well; therefore, do run off some stitches on a scrap of fabric prior to the start of the session!
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on British Summer Time (BST). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop! In light of current uncertainties regarding potential lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube! A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news! This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
- Online Workshop: Icons!£30£300£0