Purchase this digital product and receive a link to the YouTube video of the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop featuring leading designer, tutor & craft expert Gary Mills and his fabulous Abstract Landscape class, which first aired via Zoom on Suaturday 28th May 2022.
Once you have purchased this product, the PDF document you will receive contains a link to the private-access video on YouTube
Introduction by Gary:-
Have you always wanted to feel more confident in being creative? Have you always wanted to be more artistic but never had the opportunity? Or perhaps the know-how on where to get started? Well, this is the workshop for you, designed by me, that can help develop creative ability in anyone.
This exciting and engaging workshop has been specifically designed to be accessed by everyone and all abilities; for all of you who would like to learn and have a go, and those who enjoy being creative but would like to become a little 'freer' and more open to some new ideas. If you love, colour, doodling and playing with scraps of paper and cloth then you are really going to enjoy your time on this workshop!
This workshop is based around creating an Abstract Landscape from imagery supplied and undertaking a series of processes to help you achieve a piece of artwork you will be proud of. This will NOT be a conventional art drawing lesson; far from it! Rather it's a fun and informative approach to 'creating art'.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
In this three-hour workshop you will cover priming your background through masking-off and adding zones of colour with acrylic paints, you can choose to work solely on paper or cloth, or you can mix your materials for a true mixed media approach. You will collage and applique shapes which represent recognisable landscape features. You will consider a limited pallet of colour, and how each tone and contrast works together to complement each other. You will be mark making, using simple mono printing and mixings skills, such has simple hand stitches to both paper and cloth.
The outcome to this project is a 6” x 6” finished piece of artwork.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of art & textiles. Gary's workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and so very well organised with his clear, engaging and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for everyonel; if you are a beginner, this is a great way to find your creative ability through learning process and skills which explore the rudiments of creative art practices. For those with some confidence and experience you could add further diversify to approaches in your own artistic ability and imagination.
Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
All the materials are easily accessible. Such as papers and inks and paints can be sourced from local shops or online and most other materials can be found around your sewing box or in your desk draw.
You will need the following for this workshop:-
· Something to make black ink permanent marks with, such as a gel pen, ball point pen
· A Glue Stick such as a Pritt stick or similar
· Masking Tape
· Sellotape or Scotch Tape if working in paper only and you wish to stitch into it
· 1-2 pages from an old book or newspaper with text 5” x 7”
· Important: Acrylic paints used:
· For decorative stitches DCM embroidery thread or Cotton Perle thread in a deep pink and black
· Optional: deep pink oil pastel, if working in paper only
· Useful: a white maker pen (even a “Tipex” correction pen makes nice marks!)
If using FABRIC, you will need the following:-
· 2 x 9” x 9” heavy / medium calico
· 6” x 6” muslin or similar light weight fabric
· 4” x 4” brown / grey linen or similar for cliff detail
· 6 x 6 Bonda web or similar heat transfer adhesive
· Optional: fabric glue
If using PAPER only, you will need the following:-
· 1 sheet of good quality paper 9” x 9” either water colour paper or mixed media paper 250g /m2 -135lb
· (You can use thin card, but it needs to not buckle when you apply the paint, so heavier weight paper rather than copy paper and ordinary cartridge paper. It is worth visiting an arts supplier if you have nothing like this available at home)
· 6” x 6” old brown envelope paper (or similar) can be used
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
· Craft Knife
· A container such as a Jam-Jar to hold some clean water.
· A large plate or a palette for mixing paint (a plastic Polly-pocket will also work)
· 3-4 small sponge paint applicators or use a good size paint brush
· Some paper kitchen towel to hand
· Bradawl for making holes or a compass point will work if working into paper
· Baking Parchment / Greaseproof Paper
· Large Needle for sewing
· Paper Scissors and Embroidery Scissors
· Ruler or Quilting/Crafting Square
· Pencil and Rubber
· Optional: Cutting mat
· A Ruler or Grading Ruler for squaring up
· An Iron, Ironing Mat or Board and Baking Parchment to protect your work when you press. (In the session you will be ironing paper as well as cloth)
· Useful optional: A fabric pen / marker (I use one which disappears with heat, but any similar will do)
· Important: A hair dryer to hand when speed drying is required
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Those purchasing this video will find Gary’s Abstract Landscape Templates/Notes included
This class is available to view as many times as you like for 60 days FROM THE DATE OF YOUR PURCHASE
NOTE: Any short video featured in this promotional info is a Trailer and not the fully-edited version you'll gain access to via YouTube!
© Copyright CraftyMonkies Ltd. All rights reserved.
top of page
bottom of page