Purchase this digital product and receive a link to the YouTube video of the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop featuring leading designer, tutor & craft expert Gary Mills and his fabulous Baker Boy Cap class, which first aired via Zoom on Sunday 14th April 2022.
Once you have purchased this product, the PDF document you will receive contains a link to the private-access video on YouTubeIntroduction by Gary:-The Baker Boy cap is a classic example of an English heritage item which has been reborn. Old styles and trends are always re-emerging, but the craze has gained a boat load of credibility with iconic celebrities such as the model Kate Moss and social media celebrity Kendall Jenner adopting the trend. We have even seen it as one of the challenge tasks on ‘Great British Sewing Bee’! How will you do? These hats look great on both the guys and the girls… If you’re having a bad hair day, then they can hide it, if the sun is a little strong on your head, they’re fabulous to keep you cool and in the wetter and cooler months they are practically stylish…. . In short, it's a win, win, win, 'must have' piece of headgear!What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-In this workshop you will be guided by experienced Fashion Tutor Gary Mills step-by-step to make your very own cap/hat. You choose your fabrics and lining; the bolder the brighter the design or muted tones in tweed or functionality in corduroy or denim… Which will you choose? The design is suitable for both sexes and most Adult sizes: will you make one for yourself or for someone else? If it's for some other lucky recipient, just remember to take a note of their head-size for fitting! Measuring and sizing a pattern, cutting out fabric, construction with a sewing-machine, lining and finishing all factor into this workshop!Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-Beginner/Intermediate/Advanced - pretty much everyone!Gary has many years of experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for all; if you are a beginner this is a great project to learn and understand the processes of making an accessory, with pattern cutting, construction of small pieces and fitting. For those more experienced and advanced you can further hone your skills by working on improved accuracy and artistic ability to achieve a first-class professional finish.Fabric & Material requirements for this Workshop:-Think of the main fabric for the hat, it needs to be of a good weight to hold its shape.Examples: boiled wools, coating tweeds and flannels. Cotton drill or twill, denim, and good weight corduroy. You could make a good weight linen version, or even from upcycled fabrics and garments. You can use upholstery fabrics but take care on the fraying in some. Note: you can mix up your panels within the hat crown (8x sections in total)
- ½ metre of main hat fabric
- ½ metre of lining (polyester or fine cotton)
- 20cm x 2cm of elastic (for the fitting at the back of the cap)
- For the cap peek, you will need something to add stiffness such as buckram 20cm x 10cm or you can use the thin plastic cut from a milk carton or similar (nothing brittle, but more flexible will do)
- For the top crown of the hat 3-4cm wide cover button (use the screw type rather than the metal pop in type as they can come apart) or an ordinary coat button which you will be able to cover (Gary will show you how!)...
Equipment requirements for this Workshop:-
- GOOD QUALITY SEW-ALL MACHINE THREAD: in a colour to match your chosen fabric
- Hand-sewing Needle for tacking
- Tape Measure
- Scissors: Fabric & Small Snips
- Fabric Pen or Chalk
- Sewing-Machine (please do check that your machine is in good working order before the class!!!)
- Spare needles size 14-16-18 (70-80-90) for your sewing-machine, just in case (anticipate a broken needle!); if using a heavyweight such as a denim type of fabric get the appropriate needle as you will be sewing through several layers.
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-Gary's 17-page Pattern & Templates for the Baker Boy Cap in multiple sizes are included in the purchase of this video.Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Please have filled bobbins and threads ready for the start of the session!
- Please have all appropriately sized pattern pieces cut in outer fabric and inner-lining fabric ready for the start of the session!
This class is available to view as many times as you like for 60 days FROM THE DATE OF YOUR PURCHASE
NOTE: Any short video featured in this promotional info is a Trailer and not the fully-edited version you'll gain access to via YouTube!
© Copyright CraftyMonkies Ltd. All rights reserved.
top of page
bottom of page