Saturday 05 December 2020: Online Workshop (Christmas Wreath)
Time & Location
About the Event
Gary Mills - Saturday 05 December 2020 - 10.00am to 1.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Christmas Wreath
This is part of a restructured two-class offering (you only have to sign up for one class, but of course we all hope you do the morning Christmas Wreath & afternoon Christmas Snowman sessions with the lovely Gary Mills!) which replaces Gary's original plan of hosting an All-Day event on this day, which would have seen participants baking a Christmas Yule Log halfway through - sadly the cakey bit is now off the menu!
Introduction by Gary:-
This wreath workshop has been specially designed by me for an incredibly special CraftyMonkies Christmas themed workshop!
For this workshop you will be expertly guided through the making of a contemporary fabric Christmas Wreath, which utilizes all those scraps of fabrics you’ve squirrelled away for a useful project….this is now that project! You will select a range of festive coloured fabrics, (I've used a mix of reds, greens, candy stripes, tartans and plaids) and I will show you how to make some large felt pom-poms and some Christmas roses from felt to add in amongst your decorative wreath, then finish with a large bow to hang the wreath either inside or out for all to admire; it is something you will want to display each year, I'm sure!
This is a workshop FULL of FESTIVE FUN for all you CraftyMonkies crafters and as always, the session will be relaxed with plenty of conversational chatter from Rachel and myself; we look forward to having you along for this creative session!
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
In the session you will be sent any pattern elements and asked to pre-cut the set number of squares to fill the wreath. You will be shown how to equally divide your combination of colours and consider their distribution around the wreath. You will learn how to make decorative features such as pompoms and roses from felt, using cutting and some simple stitches, finally how you can fix them into your wreath. Outcome measures approx. diameter 18” (46cm)
Skill Level Required for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This workshop is for an intermediate or practiced beginner (all the skill elements are broken down into stages and Gary is a very experienced & engaging teacher, who will give clear guidance or further links to help support your learning requirements.
There will be a relative patterns and guidance notes to support the session sent to you prior to the workshop.
Fabric & Material Requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
· 12” (30cm) diameter WIRE WREATH MOSSING RING. Please check out the example below, UK link from Amazon so you purchase the correct type https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/6042670409?pf_rd_r=6AST1KAAZR81K8VFSS8F&pf_rd_p=e632fea2-678f-4848-9a97-bcecda59cb4e. You can also purchase these from other online supplies or even your local florist. Allow time as these will sell out quickly nearing to Christmas. (If you are stuck and you live within the UK, Gary has a small supply which you can purchase directly from him via: email@example.com - please allow a minimum of 3 working days). For those outside the UK seek similar suppliers or alternatives.
· 80 x fabric squares each measuring 5”x 5” (12cm x 12cm) limit your fabric choices to 4-5 different colours and designs, consider your colours and how festive they are. Suitable fabrics are polyester cottons and natural cottons and fabrics of a similar weight in plains and prints. Note: all squares must be pre-cut and ready prior to the workshop, you can cut with a rotary blade or pinking-shears for a decorative edge if you prefer.
· 72”x 1” (2metres x 2cm) ribbon to tie as decorative bows, you can use burlap or hessian or more Christmas themed ribbon (consider something which works well with your fabric choices)
· 60” x 4” (1 ½ m x 10cm) ribbon for hanging and making a large bow, you can use burlap or hessian or more Christmas themed ribbon (consider something which contrasts with your fabric choices)
· For the flowers and pompom decorations you will need 10” widths x 60” lengths (25cm x 100-150cm) lengths or craft squares of felt in RED, Green and White.
· Optional Extras: You may also wish to have additional trimmings: gold, silver, plain colours and themed pieces of ribbon, trims, braids, and embellishments. (Even small fur-cones could be incorporated into the designs)
Equipment Requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
· A mixture of hand-sewing threads in colours of the felt red/green/white
· Small scissors and fabric scissors / rotary blade for cutting out
· Hand-sewing needle
· Solvent based glue or (optional) hot glue gun
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
The free PATTERN(S) will be sent to you via email to download; this/these is/are to be printed in advance of the course.
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £25.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
IMPORTANT - Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of current uncertainties regarding potential lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
- Online Workshop: Xmas Wreath£25£250£0