Sat, 16 Sept|
Online Interactive Workshop
Saturday 16 September 2023: Online Workshop (Finishing Techniques!)
Victoria van der Laan is fast becoming one of our most popular teachers! Come and join her on this brand new class, designed just for YOU! After all the hard work you've put into your quilting, finishing is incredibly important: Victoria shares her techniques with you in this class!...
Time & Location
16 Sept, 16:00 – 19:00 BST
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Victoria van der Laan - Saturday 16 September 2023 - 4.00pm to 7.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop - Finishing Techniques!
Victoria van der Laan is back 'in the house' and we couldn't be more pleased! This is a BRAND NEW class and its a cracker; we're sure this one is going to sell out quickly so please don't leave it too long to book!
Introduction by Victoria:-
Hi folks! I'm Victoria van der Laan, a textile artist and quilter living and working in Albany, NY. I've absolutely loved sharing the techniques for making my intuitive stacked forms quilts with you in two previous Crafty Monkies classes and I'm thrilled to be back! This time we will focus on a much more practical but hugely important topic--finishing techniques!
You've put lots of time, effort, and materials into piecing and quilting a stunning quilt and now you need to decide how to finish it. Will you choose a traditional binding or a modern facing? Would you like to use your quilt on a bed or couch, hang it freely on a wall, or stretch it over a frame and present it like a painting? In this workshop I will share all of the edge-finishing, hanging/presenting, hand sewing, and labeling techniques that I use in my work.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
In this workshop I will give a quick overview of the options for finishing the edges of a quilt and will guide you step by step through my mitered corner facing technique, my go-to finishing technique for free-hanging quilts. I'll share my process for labeling quilts as well as a couple different options for adding sleeves or tabs to your quilts so they can be hung on a wall. In addition, I'll teach you how I stretch patchwork on a frame, which can be a lovely and quick alternative to sewn finishings. As always I am happy to answer questions as they arise and there are always little opportunities to show you extra techniques and tips during class. I love the exchange of knowledge that happens in class and I often learn new little tricks from students as well--there's always something new to learn and my goal is to create a rich learning environment in my classes!
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This workshop is appropriate for quilters at any skill level. Everyone is welcome!
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
I'll ask you to bring an assortment of small pieces to practice the finishing techniques on. You can work with pieces nearing completion or whip up a few low-stakes practice pieces to experiment with. Here is a rough guide for what you should have on hand for the class:-
For Mitered-Corner Facing:
· 1-3 small 3-layer quilted pieces, squared up and with edges unfinished (size is up to you but a nice size to get the hang of the technique is 12" x 12")
· Roughly a fat quarter of quilting cotton to match the outside edge of your quilt top (technically you shouldn't be able to see this fabric from the front, but just in case I like it to match the front edge as closely as possible)
For Hanging Sleeves and Tabs:
· Roughly a fat quarter or 1/4 yard of quilting cotton (doesn't need to match and is a great place to use up fabrics you don't love)
· Solid or blender scrap fabric (at least 4" x 4")
· Contrasting embroidery floss or perle cotton
For Stretched Patchwork:
· Inexpensive canvas or wood panel (I most often use 8" x 8" canvases but you can use any size--you may want to get a multi-pack because it's addictive!)
· 1-3 finished pieces of patchwork (top of quilt only), squared to 2.5" larger that the canvas or wood panel (e.g. for an 8" x 8" finished piece cut your work to 10.5" x 10.5") *If you're uncomfortable cutting your piece(s) down to size prior to class I can guide you through it.
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
· Sewing Machine
· Rotary Cutter (with a sharp blade!)
· Cutting Mat
· Acrylic Ruler (ideally with 45 degree angle measurements)
· Heat or Water Soluble Fabric Marking Pen
· Straight Pins
· Wonder Clips or similar
· Thread to match your fabrics
· Fabric Scissors
· Hand-Sewing Needle for hand finishing facing
· Chenille Needle (sharp needle with a large eye) for embroidering labels
· Light duty Staple Gun and Staples (I use an Arrow JT-21)
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £35.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on British Summer Time (BST). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location! Here's a great world time zone reference:-
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
Please ensure you book your place & order any materials/fabrics/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Online Workshop: Finishing
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Victoria van der Laan on Saturday 16 September 2023 (4.00pm-7.00pm, BST)£35.00