Sat, 29 Jan|
Online Interactive Workshop
Saturday 29 January 2022: Online Workshop (Curled Feather Quilting)
NEW Guest Tutor, Karen Miller of Redbird Quilt Co, hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop entitled Curled Feather Quilting!…
Time & Location
29 Jan 2022, 16:00 – 19:00 GMT
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Karen Miller of Redbird Quilt Co - Saturday 29 January 2022 - 4.00pm to 7.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Curled Feather Quilting
A New Year, another New Tutor! To say we're absolutely thrilled to welcome the wonderfully talented & delightful Karen Miller of Redbird Quilt Co fame into the CraftyMonkies fold is an understatement! In this, Karen's first-ever class with 'the Monkies', you'll be focused on quilting motifs with her excellent free-motion Curled Feather Quilting class - take it away, Karen!...
Introduction by Karen:-
Are you comfortable with meandering or looping around your quilt top, but find yourself intimidated when it comes to stitching out more advanced quilting motifs? When I began free-motion quilting with my home sewing-machine, my goal was to have my completed quilts appear as though they had been finished by a longarm quilter. In my mind that meant I MUST LEARN to quilt feathers!! My first full feather quilt was both a challenge and a joy as I used 3 borders to practice my feathers and grow my skills. Once comfortable with stitching feathers along a wavy spine I was ready to add more interest to my feathers – Voila! – the curled feather! I’m excited to share the process with you – it’s straight forward and simple – believe me when I say: "We can do this together!"...
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
In this 3 hour workshop we’ll learn the skills necessary to stitch a free motion curled feather. We’ll begin by reviewing a few basics of home machine quilting and quickly dive into the fun of feathers. We’ll learn feather structure and I’ll share a few simple guidelines for positioning feather plumes along a spine. Before you know it we’ll be applying all we’ve learned to stitching a delightful curled feather. To wrap it up we’ll review a variety of ways to apply the curled feather to your quilt tops.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This workshop is applicable to a beginner that is comfortable with dropping the feed dogs and stitching out simple designs. We’ll have you stitching a curled feather in no time!! I encourage you to learn and practice your curled feathers on large fabric scraps - the learning process is less stressful this way.
Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Paper & Pencil - To practice drawing feathers before we stitch them
- Air or Water Soluble Fabric Marking Pen - Since we’re working on practice pieces a #2 lead pencil will work too.
- New Machine Needle - My favourite is the Superior Titanium Coated Topstitch Needle size 90/14
- Thread - Any general purpose weight like 40wt or 50wt in a color that will complement your fabric. Use the finest thread weight to wind a bobbin.. My favourite thread is Aurifil 100% cotton. I’ll be stitching with the heavier 28wt Aurifil - It shows nicely via ZOOM – I’ll have 50wt in the bobbin!
- Quilting Gloves (optional) - My favorite are Machingers Gloves by Quilters Touch. I purchase them in size X-Small so there is no excess in my fingertips.
- Teflon Slider for machine bed (optional) - My favorite is the Supreme Slider by LaPierre. This gadget helps your fabric slide across your machine bed with ease.
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Light coloured solid fabrics 15 – 20” square. Muslin will work fine. I generally use a print fabric on the back of my quilts but for this workshop you can use the same fabric on top and back.
- Batting of your choice – my favorite is 100% wool batting. Cotton or cotton blend is fine too. I would avoid using a 100% poly batting during the workshop.
- Prepare 2 quilt sandwiches roughly 15” to 20” square.
- Baste using the method of your choice - I prefer to pin baste!
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Sewing-Machine with darning, embroidery or free-motion quilting foot. If you have an extension table or cabinet for your machine now is a perfect time to use it!!
- Ensure you clean & service your machine prior to the workshop – be sure to remove all the dust bunnies in and under the bobbin area. Oil if applicable.
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
A Curled Feather template with instructions AND a free-motion quilting basics handout are provided as a PDF download with purchase of the workshop. Pplease print off beforehand and have available during the workshop!
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
If you are a longarm quilter looking to learn to quilt a curled feather, this workshop would be beneficial to you as well!
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on Greenwich MeanTime (GMT). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of the ongoing situation regards potential delays with supply of certain materials/fabrics/equipment from around the world due to the lasting impact of Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/fabrics/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of course dates.
This class is a live Zoom Workshop ONLY!
A recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
We are NOT able to offer a recorded Pay-On-Demand video for sale after this event.
The only way to enjoy this class is to book a ticket for this Zoom Workshop!
Online Workshop: Curl Feather
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Karen Miller on Saturday 29 January 2022 (4.00pm-7.00pm, GMT)£30.00Sold Out
This event is sold out