Sat, 30 Jan|
Online Interactive Workshop
Saturday 30 January 2021: Online Workshop (Cute & Comfy Knickers!)
Gary Mills hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop teaching you how to make the most fantabulous Cute & Comfy Knickers!…
Time & Location
30 Jan 2021, 10:00 – 13:00 GMT
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Saturday 30 January 2021 - 10.00am to 1.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Cute & Comfy Knickers!
We're delighted that the wonderful Gary Mills is hosting this Cute & Comfy Knickers workshop. No matter the subject, Gary brings bucketloads of enthusiasm, passion & fun to the classroom! Begin sewing with stretch fabric and master making your very own knickers!
Introduction by Gary: -
In this fun class you will learn to make a pair of cute & comfy knickers using stretch jersey fabric and fold over elastic. Making these easy-to-follow knickers is a great way to get started with sewing and working with stretch fabrics; they are also an awesome way to bust your stash of jersey fabric scraps. Brightest side possible? You may never buy knickers from a retail outlet again!
You will be guided through the whole session by an experienced, engaging, debonair & handsome fashion production tutor, me, Gary Mills! I will impart all my tips on sewing with knits and using fold over elastic that you can apply to other projects. This workshop will be based on the Acacia underwear pattern by Megan Nielsen.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This workshop takes you through the construction of a pair of knickers, from join together the paper pattern, laying out your pattern on the fabric and checking the direction of the stretch of the fabric, cutting stretch fabrics accurately, constructing the knickers and the correct stitch to use to applying both centre fold elastic and decorative elastic to finish your garment.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This is a great first time jersey sewing project! Experience & familiarity with a sewing machine is needed but you don’t need to have done any dressmaking before. The skill level for this project would suit all, from the beginner who would like to learn with simple, clear, achievable instructions form the tutor, to those who are more experienced who will quickly grasp the construction process and will probably make more than just one pair of knickers.
Fabric & Haberdashery requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- 0.5 metres of cotton/spandex blend stretch jersey knit fabric (this will be enough for several pairs, but we will only make one in class)
- 2.5m metres of fold over elastic and matching polyester thread
- A variety of materials can be sourced online via PlushAddict:-
- There’s also scalloped, picot, lace and ruffled options, but please reference the pattern instructions of 1/4" widths for these!
- PlushAddict also sell cotton/elastane jerseys and bamboo/elastane jerseys both suitable to make knickers: https://plushaddict.co.uk/dress-fabric/stretch-jersey-fabric.html or even use a large stretchy tee-shirt (cotton with elastane/Lycra content)
- Scrap of 100% cotton jersey (an old tee-shirt is good for this!) for the gusset.
IMPORTANT: Please take your pattern measurements from the hip when choosing the correct sizing.
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Standard sewing-machine- needs to have a zig zag function
- Stretch-fabric machine needle (size 75 if possible) - these, or similar, are available via:-
- NOT ballpoint jersey needles - they don’t work well with the elastane!
Pattern requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop are as follows:-
The pattern is the ‘Acacia Briefs’ by Megan Nielsen. Course participants need to sign up to Megan's online Newsletter to receive and download the pattern via:-
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £25.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
IMPORTANT - Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of the ongoing potential for lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19 outbreaks & subsequent Government-imposed restrictions to people movement and business operation, we advise everyone to please book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Online Workshop: Knickers!
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Saturday 30 January 2021 (10.00am-1.00pm, GMT)