Here is a super chance to be tutored and learn with textile artist and teacher Gary Mills. Through this easy to follow Pattern and illustrated Instructional Booklet with embedded video link, you can create Gary's fabulous Hound! This fun tutored project is for anyone wishing to learn, explore, and improve their sewing skills!
This easy-to-follow pattern has been designed by Gary Mills and is just one of the animals from the Exmoor Animals and Creatures series. The pattern and instruction sheet takes you through a ‘skills bomb’ of processes for you to learn. This outcome could be simply framed but would make a great panel for a quilt or even a cushion centre
Gary has tailored the pattern and instructions for all to enjoy learning a mixture of creative textile skills. You will begin firstly by transferring the supplied pattern template onto cloth, then use heat bonded adhesive for securing the appliqué pieces. Within the embedded video Gary will then demonstrate an example* of free motion embroidery to add an artistic sketched stitched line to bring your applique to life. This pattern is a perfect start to get to grips with these addictive skilled processes; you will even explore some hand-tinting with colour to finish off your outcome!
*In the instructional video, Gary uses the ‘Pheasant Bird’ example to demonstrate processes and skills, which are transferable across all the pattern templates within the series of Exmoor Animals and Creatures.
Finished size of the template is A4: -11 ½ x 8 inches
Skill Level for this pattern:-
This workshop is suitable for all from a beginner to sewing or someone more experienced. If you are a beginner this is a great project to learn and understand the processes of bonded applique with addition of free motion embroidery stitching for decoration.
Material requirements for this pattern:-
The following items are required for this online interactive workshop:
- Base fabric: Cream / White cotton canvas or heavy calico, or heavy linen minimum size 21cm x 30cm, although you can work on a larger piece if you prefer. Pressed
- Stitch and tear 21cm x 30cm
- Bonda web or similar iron on fusible fabric adhesive for bonding applique pieces 25cm x 50cm
- Selection of small pieces / scraps of suitably chosen fabrics. Check your colour and pattern choices with reference to the exampled final finished image supplied within the PDF (light wools and tweeds, printed and plain cottons and polyesters) But if you feel like going bold and bright; go for it!
- Good quality Sew-all polyester dark (black / dark grey / dark brown machine thread)
Equipment requirements for this pattern:-
- 1 x sheet A4 tracing paper,
- Soft pencil B1-2 and a Blue Biro type pen to transfer image.
- Sticky tape or masking tape
- Sewing machine with an embroidery or darning foot attachment with a new needle size 12-14
- An iron, sheet of baking parchment for pressing
- Small sharp embroidery, fabric scissors and small paper scissors
- A palate of water colour paints (a children’s set will do) and a small brush for tinting your final image, small pot of water.
- A soluble fabric marker pen is useful.
Copyright Terms & ConditionsIt is NOT permissible to make a copy of this sewing pattern except for your own use. It is not permissible to share this pattern either in person, by post or by email. It is not permissible to sell this sewing pattern or a copy of it on to another person.
It IS permissible to sell an item that you have made from this pattern in small quantities. Please include the information that your items are made with a pattern from Gary Mills Designs. In online descriptions and on Instagram please tag me at @garymillsdesigns.
Share your creations on social media by tagging @garymillsdesigns/#garymillsdesigns and @craftymonkies/#craftymonkies.
top of page
bottom of page