Fri, 03 Dec|
Online Interactive Workshop
Friday 03 December 2021: Online Workshop (Chipolata Draught Excluder!))
Gary Mills hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop where you get to make his fabulous Chipolata Draught Excluder!…
Time & Location
03 Dec 2021, 18:00 – 21:00 GMT
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Friday 03 December 2021 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Chiploata Draught Excluder!
The wonderfully talented, creative & inspiring Gary Mills returns with another fabulous workshop to get you in the festive swing! Hot off the back of his Stretch Jersey Lounge Pants class in November, Gary will WOW you with this superb Chipolata Draught Excluder workshop - an absolute 'must-have' for all homes where the winter chill creeps in under the doorframe: the ideal gift - for you or a friend/loved one!...
Introduction by Gary:-
I've really had fun coming up with this adorable little sausage dog Chipolata Draught Excluder which will put a smile on anyone’s face. 'Chippie', is completely based around my very own Sausage Dog called Chipolata; (Chippie for short, as she is a mini-Dachshund and therefore in the UK a small pork sausage is usually called a Chipolata!) What will you call yours?
In this class I will guide you through the processes from start to finish during the Zoom session, and alongside I've also produced a clear PDF pattern and instruction booklet for you to download. Once complete, you will have to find a place for Chipolata/Chipolina to sit or rest up against that draft whistling under the door; your 'Chippie', would even make a fabulous gift for someone special - did someone mention that CHRISTMAS will soon be here?!...
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This three-hour session is divided into two halves with a short comfort break for 10 minutes in the middle. To begin, you will be introduced to the project, and then Gary will guide you through each of the skills processes:
You will learn how to work through assembling the draught excluder, with all the relevant pattern pieces. Taking care to keep your seam allowances consistent and then trimming back to avoid any bulk. Once you have turned the figure through you will learn the best way to stuff your figure with toy stuffing, and to avoid a lumpy uneven outcome. You will be hand stitching his articulated legs and adding his facial details.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for the beginner, Intermediate & Advanced sewist. For those more experienced and advanced you can further hone your skills by working on improved accuracy and stitch ability to achieve a first-class professional finish.
Fabric & Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Choose your fabrics to either work with your interior of the room that Chipolata will be guarding or add a bold splash of colour, it is entirely up to you!
- For the main body you will need 34” x 30” (87cm x 77cm) of fabric suitable fabrics are wool tweeds and similar fabrics, you can choose upholstery fabrics, cotton drill and cotton twill, canvas type fabrics and denim. You can choose a good quality cotton, it is up to you.
- For the ears, tail, and legs 41” x 18” (104cm x 46cm) fabric as above fabrics, but you could choose more bright printed cottons to add further colour and pattern to your hound.
NOTE: Depending on your width of fabric you can always fold and turn your fabric lengthways rather than working widthways
Matching thread for machine and hand sewing
NOTE: You can add a coloured contrast embroidery thread to stitch the buttons on the legs to add further detail
- For the eyes I have used 2x large 1” (2.5cm) brown buttons and 2x smaller ½” (1cm) black buttons.
- For the legs will need 4 x 1” (2.5cm) buttons which either contrast or work with the fabric
- For the nose I have used a small black pompom, but you can use a button or a large black bead.
- For the collar 36” (92cm) length of 1” (2.5cm) wide ribbon
- You will need 16oz or 500 grams of polyester toy stuffing or alternatively I have used a cheap pillow filling which works well.
NOTE: If you wish for a softer contour hugging ‘bean bag’ style draught excluder, you can substitute the body stuffing with cat litter or similar, although still use polyester stuffing for the nose and the head up to the neck.
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Sewing-Machine straight stitches used (you can hand sew if you wish but will take you a little longer to make)
- A general sewing box: scissors, needles, pins, tape measure
- (Optional) Ruler or quilting square to help with marking your seam allowances.
- Tailor’s chalk or fabric marker pen
- (Useful) Iron for pressing
- Chopstick or similar blunt stick for stuffing
- As mentioned above paper scissors, sticky tape, or glue stick to join pattern.
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary's FREE Pattern & Instruction Booklet will be sent to you via email to download, this is to be printed in advance of the course!
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Print off pattern (A4 to fit no borders)
- Please cut out all pattern pieces from your fabric choices prior to the start of the workshop
- Seam allowance is not included in the pattern
- Straight Stitch size 2 – 2.5
- Needle size 10-12
- Please have filled bobbins and threads ready for the start of the session
- NOTE: Please check that your sewing machine is working well; therefore, do run off some stitches on a scrap of fabric prior to the start of the session
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on Greenwich MeanTime (GMT). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of the ongoing situation regards potential delays with supply of certain materials/fabrics/equipment from around the world due to the lasting impact of Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/fabrics/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Online Workshop: Chipolata
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Weekday 00 Month 2021 (6.00pm-9.00pm, GMT£30.00