Friday 14 August 2020: Online Workshop (Lounge Pants)
Time & Location
About the Event
Gary Mills - Friday 14 August 2020 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Lounge Pants
Since we're all tending to spend a tad more time at home these days it has become so popular to dress in Lounge Pants for just chilling around the house or going to exercise class. Let's face it: “Lounge pants are the new pyjamas!!!”
Just by taking some simple body measurements you will learn how to draft your very own easy to wear lounge pants. With some simple math calculation, you can create your pattern to fit from tiny tots to adults. Ability level is perfect for the beginner who would like to have a go at sewing a simple to garment and the lovely Gary Mills wil lead you every step of the way.
In this online interactive workshop we will cover the following:-
- No pattern to download (none of that sticking together pages of printouts!)
- Draft directly onto your fabric
- Size your trousers to fit any size from teeny weeny to adults
- Simple construction skills using a sewing machine
Skills covered include:-
- Taking measurements
- Making simple calculations
- Drafting a simple pattern with fabric maker or chalk
- Cutting out
- Construction and pressing (including straight and curved seams, finishing and hems and elasticated waistband)
Fabric requirements for this project - for an Adult size:-
Note on Fabric:-
Suitable fabrics would be a woven printed or plain cotton or Polyester cotton. You can also use brushed cotton (DO NOT choose a knitted or a stretch fabric for this project)! If you wish to choose a printed pattern fabric, preferably this should be a multi-directional print rather than something that has to be pattern-matched when cutting and constructing. Choose something bright, bold, and fun!
Amount of fabric required for this online interactive workshop:-
Fabric widths come in varying sizes, but you will need a width which is wide enough to go around your hips (allowing for gathering, ease and seam allowance) which is then folded lengthwise to draft your pattern in two halves. The length will be the required length of the trouser leg plus waist band plus the hem.
To calculate your fabric, use this calculation:-
- For width - Full hip measurement + 1” total seam allowance / 4 x 5.5 = Width of fabric required
- For Length - Measurement from waist to finish of trouser + 4” waist band + 2” Hem = Total length
- Hip 42” + 1” / 4 x 5.5 = 59.125” wide (so 60” wide fabric is enough)
- For the Length (waist to floor measurement) 41” + 4” + 2” = 47” length required
If the width of the fabric is too narrow to be folded lengthwise then buy double the length which then can be folded widthways and still accommodate the width of the hips plus the required length.
Haberdashery required for this online interactive workshop:-
Good quality sew all machine thread to match your fabric, 1¼” wide elastic by the width of the waist, decorative 2” wide satin ribbon 40” in length.
Equipment required for this online interactive workshop:-
- Somewhere to draft your pattern and cut out, such as a table, pasting decorating table or long worksurface - it is not ideal to draft and cut your pattern on the floor!...
- Sewing machine with simple straight stitch used, fabric shears (rather than cutting blade)
- Small snips
- Tape measure, something to draw directly onto fabric (fabric-maker or chalk) a yard stick / long metre rule or a long piece of narrow wooden batten to draw long lines against
- Optional - A pattern-square or quilters-square may be useful but not essential
- Pen and paper to make notes!
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! Ticket price is based on ONE person attending this workshop.
- Online Workshop: Lounge Pants£25£250£0