Friday 18 September 2020: Online Workshop (English Paper Piecing)
Time & Location
About the Event
Lucy Brennan - Friday 18 September 2020 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: English Paper Piecing
Create an English Paper Pieced Embellished Pouch using Lucy Brennan’s ‘A Piece of Me Pouch’ pattern, with the easiest way to sew a zip and neatly finished binding. Lucy will show you all the steps to create a beautiful EPP geometric panel, how to add an EPP Dresden flower appliqué motif, and a demonstration full of tips on how to turn it into a super cute quilted pouch!
This project is suitable for EVERYONE: from beginners, those with a fear of sewing zips, and anyone that loves quick, fun makes! This pouch pattern was born from a classic ‘measure twice and cut once’ mistake whilst making a bag. Not wanting the gorgeous fabric and her quilting to go to waste, Lucy decided to use as much of the panel as she could and ended up discovering a simple way to sew a zip, making two zipper pouches from her ‘mistake’ and creating a pattern!
The ‘A Piece of Me Pouch' name came to be after finding it makes such a difference to use prints, things that bring a smile and mean something in her work. Lucy made another version of the pouch by embroidering lyrics onto it, in remembrance of a friend. When she sees the words it brings back great memories. We encourage you to do the same, whether it be for yourself or for a gift; make the pouch personal by using fabric you especially like and shapes or flowers that have a special meaning for you.
The pattern is adaptable, you can create different sized versions easily using the same steps, just start with smaller or larger panels. Perfect as a make-up bag, stationery case or handbag catch all. Choose different epp shapes or the ones listed below, Lucy will cover everything you need to get perfect points and neat curves! If you are new to EPP don’t worry, all the basics will be covered and the class is packed full of tips so you will be confidently stitching shapes and making your own zip pouch.
For this online interactive workshop you will need the following:-
- EPP paper shapes - 1” inch hexies or similar. You can use any connecting geometric shape, such as triangles or diamonds.
- Dresden Flower papers - Lucy used 5” Dresden 8 petal papers from Sew & Quilt
- Recommended suppliers of English Paper Pieces: Sew & Quilt (UK), Paper Pieces (USA), Tales of Cloth (Australia)
- Fine hand sewing needle - Lucy uses a size 11 Milliners/Straw needle.
- Cotton thread - a fine thread works best, such as Aurifil 50 weight, but use what you have.
- Fabric Glue Pen (optional)
To complete the pouch on this online interactive workshop you will need *:-
- 1 fat quarter for outer fabric (or a selection of fabrics for EPP, see below)
- 1 fat quarter for lining fabric
- 1 fat quarter of fusible foam (alternatively use fusible fleece or wadding)
- 25” of bias binding (2.25” wide)
- Zip at least 11” long
- Sewing Machine with a Walking Foot (if you have one).
- Finished size of pouch approximately 10.5" x 7"
The dimensions can be altered to make different sized pouches, you may need slightly less fabric and shorter length zip and binding depending on the size you wish to make. This will be covered in the class.
You will be supplied with the pattern to make the pouch; as the class involves hand sewing you will probably NOT complete the whole project in the three hours and that is fine. Slow sewing is encouraged! You will be given all the instructions you need to finish the pouch, should you choose to ultimately make something else with the EPP you create, that is totally fine as well!
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! Ticket price is based on ONE person attending this workshop.
- Online Workshop: English PP£25£250£0