Friday 28 May 2021: Online Workshop (Piped Baskets)
Time & Location
About the Event
Judith Hollies - Friday 28 May 2021 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Piped Baskets
From across the wee stretch of water that separates UK mainland & Northern Ireland, the lovely Judith Hollies joins us once again towards the end of May! In this class Judith will take you through all that's needed to make the most wonderful Piped Baskets - take it away Judith!...
Introduction by Judith:-
Have you ever fallen out of love with a patchwork panel, maybe you were trying out a new technique, or accidently cut it the wrong size?! Perhaps you have some orphan blocks or favourite scraps leftover from another project? Well Fabric Baskets (or Piped Baskets/Fabric Buckets) are the perfect project for putting surplus panels or fabrics to good use!
Fabric baskets can be made to any size and because they are quilted (either onto wadding/batting or interfacing) they are sturdy and hold their shape. You can start with the measurements of your panel and work out which size base you need, or start with your preferred base size and calculate the required size panel you need to make (I have a nifty formula for each method, including how to navigate those tricky seam allowances!). Adding piping to projects always adds that special finishing touch. Not only will we be learning how to make our own continuous bias binding (brilliant for co-ordinating your binding to the rest of the panel) but also how to make and attach the piping to give definition and a professional look to your basket.
So if you are in need of sewing-room organising, planters, bathroom buddies or a unique gift idea these made-to-measure Fabric Buckets will meet all of your requirements!
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
In this workshop you will learn how to make one core basket, including:
- Formulae for calculating base & panel sizes
- How to make continuous bias binding
- How to make and attach piping
- How to set in a circular base
- How to construct and line your basket
- How to finish your basket with binding
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Advanced Beginner/Intermediate: must have confident use of a sewing machine, seam allowances, changing feet attachments etc. and measuring and cutting fabric.
Material/Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
* Available to purchase at www.justjude-designs.com
- 1 quilted panel (recommended between 15”-20” wide and 4” – 8” tall)
- Base: 1 fat quarter of co-ordinating fabric*
- Lining: 1 fat quarter of co-ordinating fabric*
- 1 quarter metre of Heavy Sew-In Interfacing e.g. Vliesilene S13*
- Piping Casing (Bias Binding): 8.5” square of fabric (Alternatively you can use ½ metre of pre-made ½” wide bias binding for Piping Casing)
- Top Edge Binding: One 2” x 25” strip of co-ordinating fabric*
- ½ metre of 4-5mm piping cord
- Co-ordinating thread*
- 505 Basting Spray (if not using fusible interfacing)
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Rotary Cutter, long ruler and mat
- Iron & ironing board
- Sewing machine
- Adjustable zipper foot or piping foot
- Pins and binding clips
- A4 sheet of paper & pencil
- Paper cutting scissors
- Fabric cutting scissors
- Compass (with pencil)
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Judith's specific Formulae Sheet and Calculation Sheet will be emailed to all attendees following their registration/booking for this workshop.
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- If not using a pre-quilted panel, make and quilt a panel onto Heavy Sew-In Interfacing that is between 15”-20” wide and 4-8” tall.
- Print out Fabric Baskets Formulae sheet to fill in during workshop
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on British Summer Time (BST). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of current uncertainties regarding potential lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
- Online Workshop: Piped Baskets£30£300£0