Saturday 06 February 2021: Online Workshop (Big-Stitch Hand Quilting & Tying)
Time & Location
About the Event
Lucy Brennan - Saturday 06 February 2021 - 10.00am to 1.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Big-Stitch Hand Quilting & Tying
The highly engaging & multi-talented Lucy Brennan kicks-off our month of February with a great skills-based class, namely Big-Stitch Hand Quilting & Tying! Prepare to stretch those fingers ladies & gents & get stuck in!
Introduction by Lucy:-
Big-stitch hand quilting & tying a quilt are two wonderful techniques to use all over a quilt or to add more texture to projects. I will demonstrate and talk you through both techniques so that you have all the knowledge to create secure, neat and beautifully textured stitches!
This will be a relaxing class though it is jam packed with helpful advice, so you can avoid stressing about ‘rules’ and learn how to achieve gorgeous stitches that can be admired front and back! With a focus on tradition as well as modern interpretations, by the end of the class you’ll be brimming with ideas for quilting designs and have the knowledge to easily add special hand made stitches to your projects.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Big stitch hand quilting technique
- How to securely start and finish your stitching
- Create neat even stitches that are unique to you, like a signature!
- Explore different quilting patterns and help deciding what quilting designs to use on different types of patchwork
- Using big stitch on smaller projects
- Hand tying a quilt
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Great news - this class is suitable for ALL skill-levels!
Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- 2 x 18” wadding (preferably low loft, polyester/bamboo/wool wadding)
- Basting pins
- Needle - I prefer to use a longer needle and it has to have a big eye - sharps, embroidery or milliner (straw) needles work well
- #8 or #12 perle thread, 12wt cotton thread or Sashiko thread
- Quilting hoop (optional - I don’t use one but you may prefer to try it with one)
- Thimble (again optional)
- Water soluble marking pen or quilting pencil
If you have any quilt projects or blocks that you would like to hand-quilt please bring them to class and we can look at how you could quilt them.
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- 2 x 16” square of fabric - we will be creating a sampler on this fabric so ideally a solid or simple pattern would work best!
- 2 x 16” backing fabric
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
General sewing kit - scissors, ruler, pins or curved basting safety pins if you have them
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £25.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of the ongoing potential for lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19 outbreaks & subsequent Government-imposed restrictions to people movement and business operation, we advise everyone to please book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 90 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone?
Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 90 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after it is broadcast on Zoom).
- Online Workshop: Big-Stitch£25£250£0