Sat, 06 Nov|
Online Interactive Workshop
Saturday 06 November 2021: Online Workshop (Stretch Jersey Lounge Pants!)
Gary Mills hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop which sees you make his fabulous Stretch Jersey Lounge Pants!…
Time & Location
06 Nov 2021, 16:00 – 19:00 GMT
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Saturday 06 November 2021 - 4.00pm to 7.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Stretch Jersey Lounge Pants
We're delighted to once again welcome back the wonderful Gary Mills for another of his inimitable workshops; on this occasion Gary re-visits a class he first ran back in 2020 but with some tweaks & adjustments to his original pattern. Voila his fabulous NEW Stretch Jersey Lounge Pants workshop!…
Introduction by Gary:-
Following on from the popular and well received Lounge Pants workshop I ran back in 2020, I have re-worked, re-fitted and added a few tweaks to the original Pattern for knitted and jersey fabrics! The Pattern now comes with additional internal pockets as well!
I just love my Lounge Pants and I’ve made mine along a festive theme, ready for opening my presents first thing on Christmas morning! I could even make the whole family some for a matching festive theme: huge fun!
Even if you don’t fancy a Santa print for your Lounge Pants, these loose trousers have become so popular for casual dressing, simply chilling around the house or going to exercise class and using Stretch Jersey makes theme even more comfy to wear. Who doesn't like being lovely & toasty throughout the Autumn/Winter?!...
I will guide you through the processes from start to finish, beginning with sending you my easy-to-understand PATTERN GUIDE WORKSHEET. Just by taking some body measurements and doing some simple calculation you will learn how to draft your very own easy-to-wear Jersey Fabric Lounge Pants pattern. Then, meeting you online during the Zoom workshop we can cut out, stitch, and make them during the session. Plus, I'll be giving you hints and tips with constructing with Stretch, troubleshooting with fit and there'll be lots of chat and fun with Rachel, me and... YOU!
I really hope you'll join me for this fun class - I can’t wait to see you all!...
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
You will learn how to draft and make a simple trouser pattern from measurements and simple calculations.
In the three-hour session you will be learning how to cut and make a pair of lounge pants in jersey fabric. You'll be sewing by machine, including straight and curved seams, addressing finishing & hems and elasticated waistband.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This workshop is suitable for all levels, particularly perfect for those who would like to have a go at sewing a simple jersey fabric garment. Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles and garment making; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised and Gary always delivers clear and patient guidance.
Fabric & Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Paper to cut out your pattern (you can use joined sheets of newspaper, thin lining wallpaper or similar) width and length see the below calculation
- Cotton Jersey or similar see the below estimation
- Good quality Sew-all machine thread in a colour matching the fabric
- Waist band elastic 1 ¼ “ (3cm) wide x waist measurement
For the Paper to Draft Your Pattern: You will need a rectangle which measures:-
WIDTH: Take the measurement around your widest lower body circumference i.e., around the hip on the fullest part of your bottom, but if your waist is wider than your hip measurement, please use that. (This is measurement “W”)
To calculate the width using inches, take the value of:
W add 1.5 multiply by 4 divide by 5.5 = width of paper in inches
To calculate the width using centimetres, take the value of:
W add 4 multiply by 4 divide by 5.5 = width of paper in centimetres
LENGTH: To calculate the length of your paper for pattern drafting you need to decide how long you want your finished length of your trousers to be from your side waist. Measure down from your side at waist level to where you would like your trousers to finish, this could be calf, ankle or lower. (This is measurement “L”)
To calculate the length using inches, take the value of
L add 4 = length of paper in inches
To calculate the length using centimetres, take the value of
L add 10 = length of paper in centimetres
The amount you require is down to the size of the trousers you are cutting. Stretch jersey fabric comes in usually wide widths, (average 60” 150cm wide) but you must note that unlike woven fabric it has both stretch across the width and very often stretch on the length… But, the amount of stretch and return of these two will vary. Therefore, you must always cut your pattern with the most stretch going ACROSS the body and NOT down the body!
If you take your paper width measurement from above paper width calculation and double it (one for each leg), then that is the total width of fabric you will use. The trouser pattern has tapered legs to the ankle, and therefore if you are unable to get the two widths of the paper pattern side by side you will be able to drop down the length of the pattern to just past the crutch line to then fit another leg pattern in there. Additionally, you will also require a 24” wide x 12” length rectangle of fabric to make the pockets.
A hip measurement of 40” (102cm) and finished length of 39” (99cm) > Fabric required= 60” (150cm) x 60” (150cm)!
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Somewhere to draft your pattern and cut out, such as a table, pasting decorating table or long worksurface (it is not ideal to draft and cut your pattern on the floor if you can possibly avoid it)
- Something to draw against for long straight lines such as a yard stick / long metre rule or a long piece of narrow wooden batten.
- Something to draw curves for your crutch line either a French Curve or you can use a saucer and small tea plate to make curved lines
- Optional a pattern square or quilters square may be useful to square up your fabric but not essential.
- Sharp pencil & rubber
- Tape measure
- Paper sissicors
- A sewing machine (zig zag stitch used) alternatives can bee used see additional information
- Either a ball point or jersey machine needle size 12-14 / 70-80
- Fabric shears, and embroidery scissors
- Tailors chalk fabric marker pen
- Iron and board
- Optional: A can of laundry spray starch, as this is a handy tip for correcting those curling jersey edges before you sew.
- To thread through the waistband elastic, you will need a large safety pin or kilt pin
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
To create your own sized paper pattern Gary's FREE PATTERN GUIDE WORKSHEET will be sent to you via email to download. Please print this off, read through and prepare prior to the commencement of the workshop!
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Print off the PATTERN GUIDE
- Seam allowance will be included in the pattern calculations of ¼” or ½ cm.
- Zig-Zag Stitch size: Length 2, Width 3.5. You can also construct the lounge pants using a specific stretch stitch option found on some new machines, but the basic zig zag works just as well for this project. You can also construct with a serger / over locker on 4 threads if you wish, but again this is not necessary for this project.
- Needle size & type are either 12-14 / 70-80 Ball Point or Jersey (NOT a normal needle for woven fabrics as this will ladder your jersey in the construction process!!!)
- Please have filled bobbins and threads ready for the start of the session.
NOTE: Please check that your sewing-machine is working well; I suggest running-off some stitches on a scrap of jersey fabric prior to the start of the session. You may find a Walking Foot gives you a better result, but again this is NOT necessary for this project!
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on Greenwich MeanTime (GMT). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of the ongoing situation regards potential delays with supply of certain materials/fabrics/equipment from around the world due to the lasting impact of Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/fabrics/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Online Workshop: Lounge Pants
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Saturday 06 November 2021 (4.00pm-7.00pm, GMT)£30.00