Saturday 08 August 2020: Online Workshop (Foundation Paper Piecing)
Time & Location
About the Event
Kerry Green - Saturday 08 August 2020 - 10.00am to 1.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Foundation Paper Piecing
Welcome aboard the good ship CraftyMonkies to one of our most versatile & talented crafters, Kerry Green!
Make a stack of foundation paper-pieced mug rugs with Kerry’s first class for CraftyMonkies. Whether you are new to Foundation Paper-Piecing or have already tried this method, there’s so much to learn in this small project. Kerry will guide you through FPP techniques so you’ll have accurate seam points & super-sharp seam lines, as well as teaching you how to machine and hand finish a super-neat single-fold binding with easy mitred corners to ‘frame’ your project so it’s ready for a mug of your favourite hot drink! Pattern templates are included in the class fee (mug-rug finished size 6 3/4” x 8 1/2”).
In this class you will sew more than one of each mug and at least one word, TEA or HOT! The aim is to have a finished mug-rug top ready to quilt and bind!
For this online interactive workshop you will need:-
- Fat quarter of background fabric. Plain fabric that is identical on each side is easiest to work with and uses less fabric. If you want to use a print, choose something small and multidirectional.
- 4 1/2” x 6” rectangle in light colour fabric rectangle for mug in for stripe mug
- 4 1/2” x 6” rectangle dark colour for stripe mug
- 4 1/2” x 5 1/2 for plain mug
- 4” x 4” fabric scrap for each mug handle
- 1 1/2” by 22” rectangle and 1 1/2” x 12”rectangle fabric for TEA
- 1 1/2” by 22” rectangle and 1 1/2” x 12”rectangle fabric for HOT!
- Sewing machine with a machine foot with a gap which gives you a good view of your stitches - this could be the standard foot on your machine, or a clear foot, or quarter inch foot, it depends on your machine.
- See machine feet photo
- Fabric glue stick (eg Sewline). You could also use a Pritt stick style glue stick.
- A postcard
- Rotary cutter
- Add-a-quarter-ruler (optional) or small standard quilt ruler
- Seam roller or finger press (optional but handy!)
- Two Templates of your choice printed 100% on to lightweight printer paper or Foundation Paper Piecing Paper, the plain mug is the easiest option, although the stripe mug is straightforward too. TEA is the easiest word option. When printed, each template measures 4 1/4” x 8 3/8” around the solid outer edge.
- 8” x 10” quilt wadding
- 8” x 10” backing fabric
- 1 1/4” x 40” fabric strip for binding
Patterntrace have kindly offered a 10% Discount Code for any CraftyMonkies who buy a pack of their Foundation Paper Piecing or their Quilting Bundle. The code, applicable at Checkout on Patterntrace's website is: craftymonkies.
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis!
- Online Workshop: FPP£25£250£0