Sat, 14 Oct|
Saturday 14 October 2023: Online Workshop (Moon Phase Hand Appliqué!)
What is it about the magic of the moon? Bring the magic into your home by creating this beautiful Moon Phase Hand Appliqué with expert teacher, Kerry Green!...
Time & Location
14 Oct 2023, 16:00 – 19:00 BST
About the Event
Kerry Green - Saturday 14 October 2023 - 4.00pm to 7.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Moon Phase Hand Appliqué!
We're absolutely delighted to welcome back Kerry Green to the CraftyMonkies family with her very popular Moon Applique class! What is it about the moon? There's something magical about it and you can bring this magic into your home with this wonderful Appliqued piece!
Introduction by Kerry:-
I just love hand sewn appliqué! It’s brilliant as a portable project and it’s also a great way to embrace, enjoy and appreciate slow sewing. I also love working with bold graphic shapes and the phases of the moon are such a strong image - mother nature is the best designer - that they were calling to me to become an appliqué design: I almost feel like this project designed itself! In my Moon Phase Hand Appliqué workshop all those arcs and curves are perfect for learning and practicing the art of turning curved and straight raw fabric edges inwards with a beautifully smooth finish. Your moon phase appliqué can be made into a banner-style wall hanging, mini quilt or cushion cover.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
You will learn a variety of hand sewn appliqué techniques in this workshop including: needle turn, stitching outer curves, inner curves, points and straight lines. This includes thread basting, glue basting and foil curves. We will be using a variety of techniques and the pace of this class will be gentle: hand stitching is a slow stitching activity! There are two moon phase layout; one for the Northern hemisphere (shown on the banner) and the other for the Southern hemisphere (as seen on the cushion/mini quilt).
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This workshop uses hand sewing and you will need be able to sew a basic running and overcast/whip stitch. You do not need any previous hand sewing appliqué experience.
Fabric/Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Background - FQ dark navy. Either plain/painterly style quilting cotton or cotton lawn, or a multi-direction low contrast pattern can also work. Examples: Janet Clare fabrics, Moda Grunge fabrics, Carolyn Friedlander fabrics, batiks, hand dyed cottons, Makower Spraytime or Makower Linen effect fabrics.
- Moons - F8 (9” x 11”) or similar size in cream/white, plain or low contrast pattern
- Dark full Moon - 5” x 5” dark fabric slightly different to the background fabric
- Additional Materials - to make your appliqué into a banner, cushion or mini quilt are included in the class PDF handout.
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Templates printed out onto card and cut out.
- Light chalk pencil e.g (this is for temporary marking & needs to brush out of your fabric, test on a fabric scrap first)
- Standard pencil for drawing on fabric, or Sewline fabric pencil- this has a ceramic lead and an eraser
- Straw/Milliner’s Needle (choose a size you are comfortable with. Standard sizes includes 9, 10 or 11, eleven is the thinnest. Tulip Needles have an appliqué needle with a bigger eye in their range.
- Standard needle for basting
- Fine cotton or polyester thread in colours to match the light moon and dark moon fabrics. Examples: Aurfil 50 wt, Aurifil 80wt, Superior Threads Bottomline, SuperBOBs
- Small fabric scissors
- Standard thread for basting
- Sandpaper board- easily made using double-sided tape to stick a piece of fine sandpaper onto an old note book cover or sturdy card. If you don’t have this, have an emery nail file to hand
- Iron + ironing board/pressing surface
- Point Turner/That Purple Thang/Chop stick/wooden cocktail stick- one of these! We’ll use this for turning points. You can also use the end of a small pair of scissors.
- OPTIONAL - Appliqué pins (these are shorter than standard pins to stop the threads catching on them and are a good investment for hand appliqué). You can also use standard pins.
- OPTIONAL - Basting glue, e.g. Roxanne Baste-It
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Template patterns will be supplied for the moons and for the central embroidery motif. You will receive a PDF detailing some pre class preparation and another PDF with instructions on how to turn your appliqué piece into a wall hanging, mini quilt or cushion.
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
There is a small amount of preparation to do before class; panic not, as all details will be emailed to you in a PDF about a week before the class date. We look forward to seeing you in October!...
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis!
Any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this workshop will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The Ticket Price of £35.00 is based on ONE person attending this workshop.
This class is being recorded for all particpants who buy a ticket. We will send you the recording a few days after class via email and a private YouTube link to watch for a further 60 days (even if you don't attend you will still get the recording as long as you have purchased a ticket!)
Online Workshop - Applique
Learn how to create this beautiful moon, phase hand applique. Bring the magic of the moon into your life!£35.00