Saturday 15 August 2020: Online Workshop (Rose Quilt)
Time & Location
About the Event
Sarah Payne - Saturday 15 August 2020 - 10.00am to 1.00pm + 2.30 to 5.30pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Rose Inspired Quilt
As the lovely Sarah Payne will illustrate, 'Foundation Piecing' using paper takes all the hassle out of cutting and sewing your quilt block! You can even use oddly shaped pieces of fabric scraps without extra cutting, which makes it the ideal technique for using up all those little oddments left over from previous projects. It is so easy to sew with precision that it is virtually 'quilting by numbers'.
This quilt is foundation pieced onto paper. You will be sent a copy of the template prior to the class, which you will want to print out 3 or 4 times for the workshop. You will need to photocopy the supplied template 12 times for the whole quilt but you won’t get that far in this workshop. Don’t worry – you will have full instructions after the class! When printing the temple, use the thinnest/lightest weight paper that will work with your copier for ease in removal. You will need to tape two pieces together to get the 10 inch block.
If you have never done Foundation Paper Piecing (FPP) before, do not panic. We will be creating a small warmup block which you will also be sent before the class. This quilt works well with a selection of fabrics giving a lovely scrappy look. Therefore, you can make use of bits of jelly roll or bits of fat quarters you have lying around. However, the following requirements list assumes that you will have a total amount of fabric as stated below.
For this online interactive Rose Block workshop you will need the following to create 12 roses:-
- A fat quarter of the yellow fabric for the centre of the rose.
- A total of 2 metres in a selection of pinks, purples and reds (or mix it up and go gothic with reds and black – the choice is yours). This could be a mixture of 8 fat quarters or 4 half metres depending on how scrappy you want the result to look.
- A total of 1 ½ metres in a selection of greens. This could be a mixture of 6 fat quarters.
- Sashing requires 80cm of the green and 10cm of the pink.
- Sewing machine in good working order, feet, power supply, manual and new needles.
- Rotary cuter, long ruler and mat (a shorter ruler of about 12 inches long and a square ruler measuring at least 10 ½ inches square can also be useful if you have them).
Optional borders – the borders on this quilt requires 25cm of the pink border fabric and 75cm of the red outer border fabric (see photo). You should complete the quilt top before cutting the borders.
This class is suitable for all levels and is ideal for a confident beginner who fancies trying something different. Sarah will assume no previous knowledge of FPP before the class and there will be a warm up exercise before we start on the main block.
No pre-cutting is required but you will need to print out the templates that will be emailed to you just before the class.
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! Ticket price is based on ONE person attending this workshop.
- Online Workshop: Rose Quilt£50£500£0