Saturday 20 March 2021: Online Workshop (Gentleman Hare Stuffed Figure)
Time & Location
About the Event
Gary Mills - Saturday 20 March 2021 - 4.00pm to 8.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Gentleman Hare Stuffed Figure
We're delighted that our top textile designer/crafter/tutor Gary Mills will be joining us once again to deliver one of his inimitable workshops - go Mad March Hare Crazy with Gary's Gentleman Hare Stuffed Figure class!
Introduction by Gary:-
Spring is in the air! And they say it is the season for “Mad March Hares”; therefore I am so pleased to introduce you to my very own Gentleman Hare stuffed figure, designed by me for you to make! Looking at him, he does have rather a “portly figure”, dressed in his fine jodhpurs and smart waistcoat, he even has a very gentlemanly cravat tied about his neck to add to his ensemble!
I have really enjoyed using my pattern cutting and sewing skills to come up with this unique pattern and workshop for you to be able to make your very own sophisticated country chap. I will guide you through the processes from start to finish during the zoom session of 4 hours, and alongside I have also produced a clear instructional guide notes with pictures for you to download and follow. I always allow for all types of learners and I know I have covered every aspect for a comprehensive teaching session. Once complete you will have to find a place for him to sit and view; maybe that is on your bed or on a seat by a window, he would even make for a fabulous gift for someone special.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This four-hour session is divided into two halves with a short comfort break for 10 minutes in the middle. To begin you will be introduced to the project, and then Gary will guide you through each of the skills processes:-
You will learn how to work through assembling the Hare, with all the relevant pattern pieces. Taking care to keep your seam allowances consistent and then trimming back to avoid any bulk. Once you have turned the figure through you will learn the best way to stuff your Hare figure with toy stuffing, and to avoid a lumpy uneven outcome. You will be hand stitching his articulated arms and adding his facial details. Finally, you will be making his waistcoat and cravat and dressing and finishing him off.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for the Intermediate & Advanced sewer. For those more experienced and advanced you can further hone your skills by working on improved accuracy and stitch ability to achieve a first-class professional finish.
Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Please cut out all pattern pieces prior to the start of the workshop.
For the body, ears, and arms, you need 50cm x 50cm (20” X 20”) of medium weight washed cotton or calico or similar fabric in a cream to a buff beige colour, suitable for a Hare.
IMPORTANT: Please use a fabric with a relatively close tight weave, as loose weave fabrics will fray and come apart
- For interlining the ears, you need 15cm x 20cm (8” x 6”) medium weight iron on interlining such as Vilene. You can alternatively use a cut up plastic poly-pocket for a crisper /stiffer result.
- Legs should be in either grey / beige brown linen or similar fabric. 50cm x 50cm (20” X 20”)
- For the waist coat you need 50cm x 50cm (20” X 20”) of printed cotton Note: avoid using heavy wools which become almost impossible to pull through.
- For the cravat, a strip 6cm x 50cm (3” x 20”) of suitable bright coloured cotton or even silk type lining
- Polyester toy stuffing you will need 300g (10 oz) or (the contents of about 1/3 of a pillow worth)
- 3x small brown shirt buttons to match your waist coat.
- 2x 2cm -2 ½ cm beige buttons to finish the attachment of the arms.
- For decoration 1x very tiny safety pin to decorate and secure cravat.
- Matching coloured machine threads plus strong thread to stitch through articulated arms to secure. (dental floss also works well) Dark embroidery thread for eyes and nose and some nylon fishing wire for whiskers.
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Sewing machine, straight stitch required.
- Hand sewing needles and pins (long needle will aid in stitching the arms to the body)
- Fabric scissors, small embroidery scissors / snips
- Helpful is a Loop Turner Sewing Tool for pulling through small narrow pieces see link:-
- Blunt chop stick or similar for turning out legs and to help when stuffing.
- Optional - Long forceps tweezers are useful to get stuffing into small parts but not essential
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
PDF pattern and instructions sent via email supplied prior to the workshop date.
Sizing Guide relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Print off pattern (A4 to fit no borders) Please cut out all pattern pieces prior to the start of the workshop.
- Print off instruction sheets to follow
- Seam allowance will be ¼” or ½ cm.
- Straight Stitch size 2 – 2.5
- Needle size 12
- Please have filled bobbins and threads ready for the start of the session.
- NOTE: Please check that your sewing machine is working well; therefore do run off some stitches on a scrap of fabric prior to the start of the session.
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies online interactive workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on Greenwich Mean Time (GMT). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop:-
In light of current uncertainties regarding potential lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
- Online Workshop: GentlemanHare£30£300£0