Sun, 06 Feb|
Online Interactive Workshop
Sunday 06 February 2022: Online Workshop (Nine Of Hearts!)
Gary Mills hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop entitled Nine of Hearts - perfect for mindful stitchers & lovers of Valentine's!…
Time & Location
06 Feb 2022, 16:00 – 19:00 GMT
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Sunday 06 February 2022 - 4.00pm to 7.00pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Nine Of Hearts
Monkies fan-fave Gary Mills joins us once again early in the New Year, with a wonderful Nine Of Hearts love-flavoured class which you can create and use to adorn such as cushion fronts, quilts, tote bags, keepsakes - the possibilities are endless. Designer and textiles teacher Gary will take you on a relaxing mindful stitch journey with this lovely machine and hand stitched heart-themed workshop - Nine Hearts to be exact! Do tell us more Gary...
Introduction by Gary:-
Within this workshop you will explore variations of embellishment processes and skills on the theme of hearts to later stitch together to make either a pretty cushion front, or a simple tote bag front or even could multiply into quilt design.
In this workshop I will demonstrate and discuss how much pleasure can be had from slowing down, picking up a needle and thread and simply sewing, be that a repetitive decorative embroidery stitch, or needle turned applique.
Best of all, this project is a scrap-buster and encourages you to reuse repurpose textiles having connections to sustainability, simplicity and preserving memories in all the hearts you stitch.
The project could be a gift to yourself or to a friend, with each square you could capture a beautiful heart felt memory.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This three-hour session is divided into two halves with a short comfort break for 10 minutes in the middle. To begin you will be introduced to the project by Gary who will show you the examples you will be exploring and practicing within the session to give you inspiration and understanding of the possibilities available.
Next Gary will guide you through nine variations he has designed. You will be learning how to cut and assemble each decorated square section, through several textile processes which include bonded applique, reverse applique and cut-away, collaged layers, and printing words from letter stamps. The possibilities are endless and the intention for the workshop is to inspire you.
You will be complimenting your designs with simple hand and machine stitches as you work into each design to bring out each individually.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for all; if you are a beginner this is a great project to learn and understand the processes of decorating and assembling simple squares of fabric with hand and machine stitch, to explore some simple embroidery stitches with his easy-to-follow embroidery stitch handout. For those more experienced and advanced you can build your confidence further by honing your creative mind and project skills by working on improved artistic ability to achieve a considered and exciting outcome.
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- For the decoration of hearts, you will need a small selection of heart or valentine inspired fabrics. (Minimum sizes of 4” x 4” (10cm x 10cm) eg. Plain red fabric, printed cotton in red, striped cotton in red, checks and spots, any combination which could work together
- For the base of each nine squares to decorate. (Minimum sizes of 4” x 4” (10cm x 10cm) you can use a plain beige linen and either vintage damask tablecloth or some good quality printed cottons.
- If you wish to make a cushion you require further boarders 5” x 18” x 4 (18cm x 45cm) in linen or similar weight fabrics
- To make backing for a cushion 2 x 19” x 19” (50cm x 50cm) in linen or similar weight fabrics
- 1x cushion pad 18” x 18” (46cm x 46cm)
- You require 5x small heart themed buttons or some plain buttons for decoration
- Any vintage haberdashery and trimmings also work well.
- Optional: Printed words used in the sample is a simple hand block printing set you can purchase from a craft store to print in black ink on a strip of calico or linen. This can be done in retrospect after the workshop if you choose.
Machine and embroidery thread:-
- A small selection of mixed embroidery threads such as cotton Perle thread or DCM or similar. Consider perhaps what colours: reds, cream, white
- A selection of machine threads in colours to work with the theme, red, cream and white
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Sewing-Machine - Gary has used simple straight stitch, zig zag and a machine blanket stitch. You will be able to explore further decorative stitches if you wish in the session) with a new needle size 12-14
- Hand Sewing Needles.
- Fabric Scissors
- Sharp Embroidery Scissors to cut back appliqué
- Tape Measure or Rule or Quilting Square
- Fabric Marker Pen
- Optional: Cutting Mat and Rotary Cutter
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Those attending the workshop will receive Gary’s hand-out on his top simple embroidery stitches, heart templates and guidance instructions!
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £30.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on Greenwich MeanTime (GMT). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of the ongoing situation regards potential delays with supply of certain materials/fabrics/equipment from around the world due to the lasting impact of Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/fabrics/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Online Workshop: Nine Hearts
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Sunday 06 February 2022 (4.00pm-7.00pm, GMT)£30.00