Sun, 16 Oct|
Online Interactive Workshop
Sunday 16 October 2022: Online Workshop (Stretch Jersey Skater-Style Tunic!)
Gary Mills hosts this ingenious workshop where he'll teach you how to transform a basic T-shirt into a fabulous Skater-style Dress or Tunic! Not only will you learn this clever technique, but you'll also be working with Jersey fabric too!
Time & Location
16 Oct 2022, 15:00 – 18:00 BST
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Sunday 16 October 2022 - 3.00pm to 6.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop - Stretch Jersey Skater Style Tunic
One of CraftyMonkies' fave tutors, Gary Mills, will be at the helm once again, this time teaching a fabulous dressmaking class which will see you design & create your very own Stretch Jersey Skater-Style Tunic! Here's Gary (getting his skates on!) to tell you all about it...
Introduction by Gary:-
Just by taking a basic old T-Shirt as the starting point, I've created this easy-to-make and wear Stretch Jersey Skater Style Tunic top, that is timeless, suiting all ages and sizes. The style has a flattering scoped cowl neckline, short sleeves, and a flattering swing drape from under the bust down to the hipline, which just makes it so easy to wear. It’s a garment that you could keep on making in different lengths, finishes and details. You can dress it up or down, for a causal look. It looks great over leggings or trousers! In three hours, you will learn how to draft this pattern to fit you, cut out and make the garment in jersey fabric. Learn how you can finish it off to give a real, neat professional finish and all with just an ordinary sewing machine, using a simple zig zag stitch. No specialist equipment is required for this sewing project!
Making your own clothes is so satisfying, but best of all it’s a budget buster!
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
You will learn how to draft and make a simple Tunic pattern from a deconstructed T-shirt and some measurements.
In the three-hour session you will be learning how to cut and make a Skater Style Tunic in jersey fabric. Sewing by machine, including straight and curved seams, finishing and hems. You will also learn some essential hints and tips to help you get the best results when sewing with a jersey stretch fabric.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:
This workshop is suitable for all levels, particularly perfect for the those who would like to have a go at sewing a simple jersey fabric garment. Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles and garment making; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance.
Fabric & Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- A T-Shirt that fits you well, this can be an old one that you don’t mind cutting up or a cheap one from a store or thrift shop. But make sure it is a good fit as this will form the basis of the pattern to draft the tunic from.
- Wide Cotton Jersey 1.5 metres wide x 2.5 metres length (60” x 98”) use a wide width jersey rather than narrow
- Good quality Sew-all machine thread in a colour matching the fabric
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- You need space and a surface to draft your pattern and cut out, such as a table, pasting decorating table or long worksurface (it is not ideal to draft and cut your pattern on the floor if you can possibly avoid it)
- Something to draw against for long straight lines such as a yard stick / long metre rule or a long piece of narrow wooden batten.
- Optional a pattern square or quilters square may be useful to square up your fabric but not essential.
- Tape measure
- To help with pressing your hems and turn ups you will need a length of either this card or folded paper A4 in length X 2cm (3/4”) wide
- A sewing machine (zig zag stitch used) alternatives can be used see additional information
- Either a ball point or jersey machine needle size 12-14 / 70-80
- Fabric shears, and embroidery scissors
- Tailors chalk fabric marker pen
- Iron and ironing-board
- Optional: A can of laundry spray starch, as this is a handy tip for correcting those curling jersey edges before you sew.
Additional Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Seam allowance of ¼” or ½ cm when constructing
- Zig Zag Stitch size: Approx length 2 width 3.5. You can also construct the Tunic using a specific stretch stitch option found on some new machines, but the basic zig zag works just as well for this project. You can also construct with a serger / over locker on 4 threads if you wish, but again not necessary for this project.
- Needle size & type either 12-14 / 70-80 Ball Point or Jersey (not a normal needle for woven fabrics as this will ladder your jersey in the construction process!)
- Please have filled bobbins and threads ready for the start of the session.
- Note: Please check that your sewing machine is working well; therefore, do run-off some stitches on a scrap of jersey fabric prior to the start of the session. You may find a walking foot gives you a better result, but again this is not necessary for this project.
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
Please ensure you book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Please note: Not all workshops/classes will appear as edited videos due to licensing restrictions with some of our tutors; that said, the vast majority will be available!
Online Workshop: Tunic!
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Sunday 16 October 2022 (3.00pm-6.00pm, BST)£30.00