Wednesday 12, 19, 26 January 2022: Online Workshop (Bed Sock Knitting)
Time & Location
About the Event
Charan Sachar - Wednesday 12, 19 + 26 January 2022 - 7.00pm to 8.30pm (GMT)
Online Interactive Workshop: Bed Sock Knitting!
We're delighted to welcome Charan Sachar for this amazing mini-series of 3 x 90-minute Knitting workshops where you get to learn an amazingly useful crafting skill entitled Bed Sock Knitting! We have decided to package this as one complete offer taking place over 3 x Wednesday evenings in January 2022. The total fee of £50.00 includes attendance on ALL three workshops; for those unable to attend one or more workshop on the day in question, you will be provided with a recording of any missed class so you can catch-up in your own time - here's Charan to tell you more!...
Introduction by Charan:-
Hi, I'm Charan, and I'm delighted that I'll be joining you and CraftyMonkies in early 2022 to teach the very real passion I have for... KNITTING! In this mini-series of 3 x 90-minute classes over Wednesday 12th, Wednesday 19th and Wednesday 26th January (each class runs from 7.00-8.30pm, GMT) we will be focusing on creating the various important parts that will eventually constitute you having made the most fabulous pair of Knitted Bed Socks, a skill that you can then take forward and ensure your sock-drawer (not to mention the sock-drawers of your cherished family members & friends!) contains an abundance of hand-crafted, beautiful garments to enrobe your precious tootsies - I really do hope you'll join me & Rachel for this mini-series of workshops!
What you will learn in this Online Interactive Workshop mini-series:-
Bed Sock Knitting Part 1 - Wednesday 12 January 2022:
You will learn simple ways to measure your foot and the skills required to cast on your socks from the Toe up. Learn different cast on methods and options for different shapes for the toe of your sock. We will continue working on the foot of the socks.
For homework, you will then knit the rest of the foot till you reach the heel.
Bed Sock Knitting Part 2 - Wednesday 19 January 2022:
You will now learn how to knit the heel and variations to fit your foot. We will focus mainly on the Fish Lip Kiss Heel. After completing the heel in class with me we will continue knitting on the leg of the sock.
For homework, you will continue knitting the rest of the leg and start knitting the ribbed cuff.
Bed Sock Knitting Part 3 - Wednesday 26 January 2022:
The focus on this class will be to learn how to do a stretchy bind-off so you can pull your socks up with ease. Options for attendees who wish to knit the socks cuff down will also be covered along with performing the Kitchener stitch.
Key Skills/Techniques covered across this Online Interactive Workshop mini-series:-
- Knitting socks from the toe up.
- Different types of cast on methods for toe up socks.
- Increases to shape a simple wedge toe and a more comfy rounded toe.
- Tips and tricks for counting rows.
- Knitting the Fish Lip Kiss Heel along with variations to fit your feet.
- Binding off with the stretchy bind off, Kitchener stitch
Skill Level required for this Online Interactive Workshop mini-series:-
- Attendees should be able to knit/purl in the round. Preferred method being magic loop with circular needles. Double point needles will also work.
- Attendees will have access to the FishLip Kiss Heel pattern which we will email to all those who book a place. The pattern is by 'soxtherapist' Patty Joy, who has given permission for the pattern to be used in class
- Attendees will have to trace out your foot and cut it out on a piece of cardboard as described in the pattern. Don’t worry about marking the lines, that will be covered in class.
- We will be able to knit the toe in class and the students will be expected to knit the foot before the next class. At that time the heel of the sock will be covered.
- After knitting the heel in class, attendees will knit rest of the leg as homework and we will finish the cuff during the third class.
Material/Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Yarn: Worsted weight yarn also referred to as Medium or #4 yarn which has 220 yards/100gms. It is the yarn you would normally knit with US 7 (4.5mm) - US 8 (5mm) needles.
- USA example:-
- UK examples:-
- 220 yards/100gms needed for a medium foot, 330yards/150gms needed for a larger foot
- Circular Knitting Needles: US 5 (3.75mm) or US 6 (4mm) needles with at least 32” length. If you are more comfortable with double points, they can be used as well. Socks are knit at a tighter gauge so choose the US 5 or US 6 needles. An extra set of needles or stitch holders would also be helpful if attendees would like to try variations.
- Knitting notions like Darning needle, scissors, stitch markers, scrap yarn
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Attendees will have access to the FishLip Kiss Heel pattern which we will email to all those who book a place. The pattern is by 'soxtherapist' Patty Joy, who has given permission for the pattern to be used in class.
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop mini-series (via the Zoom platform) will be limited and allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! Any free pattern and other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before t