Wed, 12 Aug|
Online Interactive Workshop
Wednesday 12 August 2020: Online Workshop (Memory Quilt)
Janet Clare hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop aimed at helping you create a 'Wordsmith' Memory Quilt!…
Time & Location
12 Aug 2020, 18:00 – 21:00 BST
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Janet Clare - Wednesday 12 August 2020 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: 'Wordsmith' Memory Quilt
The lovely Janet Clare has often wished she'd kept a diary or an art journal but after many attempts had to admit that she was just not that sort. And yet, she still really wanted to remember and record our ordinary days. After all, what you do every day is more important than what you do once in a blue moon!
One day Janet realised that she could simply stitch her stories and so here we are: a 'Wordsmith' Memory Quilt workshop! This workshop is about noticing and cherishing the simple things in life. It’s about love letters, little notes and finding pressed flowers in favourite books. So, gather your memories and slowly piece them together with beautiful fabrics to create a lasting cloth to be treasured by generations to come!
The structure of this online interactive workshop is as follows:-
During our time together, Janet will tell you the inspiration behind her work and share some of the stories in her memory quilt, hopefully inspiring you to start creating one of your own. Every 'wordsmith' needs an alphabet or two! During this workshop we will focus on ways to transfer lettering and text to fabric and methods to stitch them such as free motion stitching, appliqué and embroidery. We will also practise Janet's ‘Quilt-As-You-Go’ method.
You will see how Janet layers techniques such as fusible appliqué, free-motion stitching, hand quilting, embroidery and quilt-as-you-go so you can begin to create unique pieces inspired by your favourite words, sayings, adages, poems or stories.
For this online interactive workshop you will need the following:-
- A place to start - a favourite word, quote, adage or short story
- Print out the worksheet (supplied upon signing-up for the course)
- Sewing machine, set up for free-motion quilting (darning foot and feed dogs down)
- A selection of sewing threads (preferably polyester for machine drawing)
- Basic sewing kit
- Embroidery thread
- Free motion practice- calico and wadding pieces A4ish
- Fusible web
- Pencil and paper
- Carbon paper (if you have it - you can just watch the short demo if not)
- Stitch ‘n’ tear (if you have it - you can just watch the short demo if not)
- Washable/removable fabric marker
- ‘Quilt as you go’ - four x 9 inch fabric squares, two x 8 inch wadding squares
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! Ticket price is based on ONE person attending this workshop.
Online Workshop: Memory Quilt
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Janet Clare on Wednesday 12th August 2020 (6.00pm-9.00pm BST)£25.00