Wednesday 21 October 2020: Online Workshop (Nordic Reindeer)
Time & Location
About the Event
Gary Mills - Wednesday 21 October 2020 - 6.00pm to 9.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Nordic Reindeer Decorations
Introduction by Gary
I just love Scandinavian design and the culture of this far away land of pine forests, ancient folk tales, and sleigh rides in the snow; it is just a perfect setting to welcome in the autumn and winter as we prepare for Christmas. Imagine coming home to a simple yet minimal styled cabin lit by a burning open log fire and candles dancing shadows across the walls. Aaaahhh…. let's get cosy, settle in and get stitching these easy-to-make Nordic Reindeer decorations.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This workshop takes you through selecting combinations of fabrics that work and give a simple yet sophisticated style. You can mix up natural woven fabrics, with prints and found recycled bits of embroidery. Keeping the combinations simple yet stylish. Consider oatmeal coloured linens mixed with Nordic printed cottons in red and white or mix in a section of vintage embroidery you have recycled from a rescued old tablecloth or similar. You will learn cutting out from the supplied pattern and then constructing through simple machine stitch with stage by stage instruction. Then turning through and stuffing your reindeer; finally adding the details to give him/her character through stitch and decoration.
Collected twigs and sticks to compliment and finish the reindeer keeps in synergy with the ethos of Scandinavian life; that of experiencing nature and bringing the natural environment into your home.
This finished reindeer is 12” (30cm) high
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
The skill level for this project would suit all, from the beginner who would like to learn with simple, clear, achievable instruction, to those who are more experienced who will quickly grasp the construction process and will probably not just make one reindeer, but probably a whole herd by the end of the session.
Fabric & Haberdashery requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
As mentioned above, select your fabric to create the ‘Scandinavian style’. Consider natural linens and cottons, washed calico in creams and oatmeal colours. Printed cottons in red and white Nordic or even Christmas themed patterns can be used. Consider any found or treasured vintage embroidered and old lace fabrics which you would not mind cutting up and incorporating into your design. Such as old and worn table linen and interior fabrics. These make for great little interesting personal touches within the body of the reindeer.
For each reindeer you will need:-
- Total fabric for body, ears, and tail 24” x 16” (60cm x 40cm) (additional sections such as printed fabrics and vintage fabrics can measure 6” x 7” (15cm x 18cm)
- Polyester toy stuffing 2.5 oz or 75g
- Good quality neutral coloured sew-all machine thread
- For eyes and nose embroidery thread in black and red
- For legs 4x found and cut from the hedgerow straight sticks / twigs 6” (15cm) long by ¼” (5mm) in diameter
- For antlers 2x exceptionally fine forked twigs up to 7” (18cm) total length and 2/8” (2mm) in dimeter
- Optional: fine red ribbon ¼” (5mm) wide 10” (25cm) long and small bell for tying around the neck as an additional decoration to the reindeer
Note: You will probably have time within the session to start or fully make a second reindeer so have additional fabrics and materials to use!
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- A sewing machine (straight stitch used)
- Fabric, paper, and embroidery scissors
- Hand sewing needle
- Tape measure
- Useful: fabric marker pen
- Useful: chop stick or similar blunt stick for aiding the stuffing
- Sharp kitchen scissors or garden secateurs for trimming twigs and sticks
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
The FREE Pattern will be sent to you via email to download after you've booked your place; this is to be printed in advance of the course.
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis!
Ticket price of £25.00 is based on ONE person attending this workshop.
- Online Workshop: Nordic R'deer£25£250£0