Sat, 17 Apr|
Online Interactive Workshop
Saturday 17 April 2021: Online Workshop (Sardines In A Tin!)
Gary Mills hosts a three-hour Online Interactive Workshop where you get to make his wonderful Sardines In A Tin creation!…
Time & Location
17 Apr 2021, 10:00 – 13:00 BST
Online Interactive Workshop
About the Event
Gary Mills - Saturday 17 April 2021 - 10.00am to 1.00pm (BST)
Online Interactive Workshop: Sardines In A Tin!
We're really excited to be hosting this wonderful Sardines In A Tin workshop with the hugely talented/engaging designer/tutor, Gary Mills! This class is quite a departure from most we've run recently, but we're absolutely convinced you're going to love all it brings to your sense of joy & creativity!...
Introduction by Gary:-
I have really had fun coming up with this adorable idea which will put a smile on anyone’s face! These playful sardines tucked up in their little bed, all squashed in, reminds me of my childhood with my siblings all jumping into one bed with our array of teddies, plus the family dog wanting to join us to. The idea came from the initial empty sardine tin and what could I use it for? So of course, it had to become a bed; I have considered a mattress, a miniature stuffed pillow, an embroidered blanket and three very cute little sardines with little happy faces and fishy tails!
I will guide you through the processes from start to finish during the zoom session, and alongside I have also produced a clear PDF pattern for you to download, included in the cost of this workshop.
Once complete you will have to find a place for your gorgeous sardines to sit and be viewed; maybe that's on your desk at home or work or on a windowsill, he/they would even make a fabulous gift for someone special!
Please note: The outcome is a Decorative Model or Set of Figures, rather than a toy.
What You Will Learn in this Online Interactive Workshop:-
This three-hour session is divided into two halves with a short comfort break for 10 minutes in the middle. To begin you will be introduced to the project, and then Gary will guide you through each of the skills processes:
You will learn how to work through assembling the bed mattress, the pillow and blanket with all the relevant pattern pieces. Taking care to keep your machine stitched seam allowances consistent and then trimming back to avoid any bulk. Once you have made the bed you can start making the little sardines which are each turned through, carefully stuffed and hand stitched closed. You will be hand stitching the eyes and decorating the boarder of the blanket along with suggest phrases and words you may wish to accompany the outcome.
Skill Level for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
Gary has many years’ experience as a professional practitioner and teacher of textiles; his workshops are so enjoyable, fun, and very well organised with his clear and patient guidance. This workshop is suitable for the beginner, Intermediate & Advanced sewer. For those more experienced and advanced you can further hone your skills by working on improved accuracy and stitch ability to achieve a first-class professional finish.
Material requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
1 x clean empty sardine tin with the lid removed. Measures inches 4 ¼ long x 2 ½ wide x 1 ¼ deep (or cm 10.5 x 6 x 3) try to keep near to this size for the pattern to fit although different brands of sardine tins may vary slightly.
VERY IMPORTANT!: All surrounding sharp edges where the lid has been pulled off should be lightly sanded with some glass paper or a nail emery-board.
Fabric requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
The fabrics I have used for this workshop have come from my scrap bin and fabric stash; it really does not take much fabric to complete this project. Below is a suggestion of fabrics that can be used if similar weights and weave are kept to you can adjust to what ever you have.
- 4oz 50g of polyester stuffing (toy or pillow stuffing is fine)
- For 3 sardines bodies cotton in grey, silver or blue 5” x 12” (13cm x 30cm)
- Sardine tails I’ve used some coloured organizer but felt will also work very well
- Mattress I have used a red and cream printed cotton (anything similar) 10” x 3” (8cm x 25cm)
- Blanket is in beige linen 3” x 8” (8cm x 20cm)
- Pillow white cotton 6” x 4” (15cm x 8cm)
- Sewing machine threads to match fabrics to be stitched.
- For decorative stitches I have used a pink Perle thread for the blanket boarder and black French knots for the sardine’s eyes. DCM thread can be used also.
- Optional: You may also wish to add some words to the blanket. I have used a child’s simple printing set to print on calico and then cut and stitched to the blanket. Phrases to consider:
- “3 in a bed”, “Squashed in like sardines”, “Roll-over”.
Equipment requirements for this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Sewing machine, straight stitch required.
- Hand sewing needles and pins.
- Fabric scissors, small embroidery scissors / snips
- Helpful is a Loop Turner Sewing Tool for pulling through small narrow pieces - see link:-
- Blunt chop stick or similar for turning out legs and to help when stuffing.
- OPTIONAL - long forceps tweezers are useful to get stuffing into small parts but not essential
- 1 black pen to mark in the sardine’s gills.
Pattern Information relevant to this Online Interactive Workshop:-
- Print off pattern (A4 to fit no borders). Please cut out all pattern pieces prior to the start of the workshop.
- Seam allowance will be ¼” or ½ cm.
- Straight Stitch size 2 – 2.5
- Needle size 12
- Please have filled bobbins and threads ready for the start of the session.
- NOTE: Please check that your sewing machine is working well; therefore, do run off some stitches on a scrap of fabric prior to the start of the session.
Tickets for this Online Interactive Workshop (via the Zoom platform) will be limited & allocated on a first-come/first-served basis! If applicable, any free pattern, or other information, relevant to this course will be forwarded to you after booking and approximately 5 days before the course date. The ticket price of £25.00 is based on ONE person attending this crafting class.
This CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop is being broadcast from the United Kingdom and the class time given is based on British Summer Time (BST). We advise you check via Google Search (or similar) to see corresponding start-time in YOUR location!
Ordering MATERIALS/EQUIPMENT Online For Any Class/Workshop!
In light of current uncertainties regarding potential lockdowns in some/all parts of the UK due to Covid-19, please ensure you book your place & order any materials/equipment online in plenty of time ahead of any course dates.
Enjoy This Class/Workshop Again on YouTube!
A link to a recording of this workshop will be sent to all who buy a live ticket for the Zoom broadcast approximately 5 working days after the event; the video will be available to view for 30 days from the video release date.
Are you not able to attend this class due to living in a different time-zone? Are you otherwise engaged on the date of this workshop? Well, we have excellent news!
This class will be available to view via Pay-On-Demand via our Online Shop for 30 days following the video release date (approximately 5 working days after broadcast on Zoom).
Please note: Not all workshops/classes will appear as edited videos due to licensing restrictions with some of our tutors; that said, the vast majority will be available!
Online Workshop: Sardines!
This ticket is for the CraftyMonkies Online Interactive Workshop with Gary Mills on Saturday 17 April 2021 (10.00am-1.00pm, BST)£25.00